Author Topic: Power Horn-is it authentic?  (Read 2952 times)

vrexrider

• View Profile
Power Horn-is it authentic?
« on: December 15, 2009, 04:51:15 pm »
This powder horn belonged to my grandfather. It was given to him in the late 1950's because it had Masonic symbols on it. It is about 13 inches long. It has images of a deer, a head, hands, a trowel, and swords inscribed on it. It also has the words July 7 1770, deer awthony, power horn, TP, and SG on it. Can someone give me an idea as to how I can authenticate this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

waywardangler

Re: Power Horn-is it authentic?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 05:16:09 pm »
From the pics it looks like an authentic horn.  There should be some wear evident on the end where the plug is missing and the gunpowder would have been dispensed.  The nails in the large end should also indicate age by the type of nail it is (handcut, rose head, square, etc.).  As to the scrimshaw, it looks fairly crude and might be original to the maker or many of the previous owners (maybe each added some).  There should also be some areas of wear on the horn itself where it rubbed against the owner while he carried it and used it.  It should be looked at by an antique arms expert that deals with black powder arms.  I believe 'awthony' is actually Anthony.  As to the year of 1770, it could be correct or it could have been scratched in at a later period and signifies an important date in that owners' life. 

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:50:19 pm »
Looks authentic to me too.  Nails should be square and handmade.  Never seen scrimshaw on a powderhorn but that doesn't mean it didn't exist.  Good advice to take it to an authority and have it appraised.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:54:19 pm »
I found these two items in Judith Miller's 2009 Antique Price Guide and thought you might find them interesting. Pretty valuable.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:02:46 pm »
Scrimshaw can be very valuable. It can also be notoriously hard to tell the real thing from fake. It sure as heck looks real to me, but I'm no expert. I would definitely have it looked at by someone specializing in Rev War artifacts and then take it to another person for a second opinion.

One thing I would like to see more clearly is the scale with the Roman numerals on the side. Is there any indication of its purpose? If it were in a cup or cylinder I would say it was a powder measure, but I don't know how it could function as one on the side of the horn.

Also the date is intriguing. I don't see any major events taking place in Western civilization on that date.

Especially intriguing is that "Deer Anthony" is written phonetically would also indicate that it very well could be authentic, because not only was English not yet standardized in the 18th century, but a forger would be unlikely to reproduce an item with a phonetic spelling. That right there says a lot for its authenticity in my book.

Please do keep us updated on the research on this item. It is VERY interesting! (Especially to me since I do a bit of black powder shooting!)

Antiqueaholic in recovery

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:02:07 pm »
There's no way anyone on this site can authenticate this piece. As others have said you need to take it to an expert.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:37:07 pm »
Agree with Syl - we can't authenticate it.

When I was young it wasn't unusual to have all kids of horned items.  You could buy them at western tourist attractions (6 Gun Territory, etc.)

So, you will need to find someone to help you out on this one!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 11:15:53 am »
You can check out the carving in your item with a lens (I like a 30x for this , cuz I'm old) and look for tool marks .

If any has/had been done with a rotary-type tool , these marks can be distinguished easily .

If the carving was done at the same time , with the same tool , often the same 'micro grooves' will be repeated throughout the carved motif .

You may find a variety of tool-marks , but mostly just look for any rotary tool marks , so as to eliminate this possibility .

Cool powder horn , vrexrider .
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:24:55 am by regularjoe2 »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 12:16:34 pm »
I'am in agreement with '' Tales'' if it's a Fake it's and old one.