Author Topic: Brass Candelabras and Franz Hermle clock  (Read 6076 times)

hotloanchick

• View Profile
Brass Candelabras and Franz Hermle clock
« on: December 19, 2009, 06:01:46 pm »
I received a Franz Hermle Clock and a set of candelabras as part of my dads estate. I sold them on ebay and the guy that bought them wants his money back because he says they are not solid brass. I was told they were. He says that if they were solid brass they would be in one piece, but since they come apart they are not solid brass. Is that right?????
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:21:29 am by hotloanchick »

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Brass Candelabras and Franz Hermle clock
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 06:38:49 pm »
pictures?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:01:14 am »
It is up to interpretation..... We really do need a picture to help you!

You could have a candelabra that is one piece (solid brass) or the candle pieces can be separated and all pieces are made of brass which is solid brass as well!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 10:13:54 am »
There is also cased Brass. where as cast Iron plated with brass. I think it's common to apply the words solid Brass to most Brass object's. regardless if there solid Brass in the intirety.

Two pieces joined, to gether could certainly, be attributed as '' Solid'' Brass. if  both piece's are brass.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:49:52 am »
Well.....if it was "solid brass"....there wouldn't be a clock inside and it wouldn't tick!!!!!!   (sorry....couldn't control myself!)

I looked at your ad and another set just like yours that sold on 12/19.  You advertise yours like all the others (many independent clocks of F H).

You need to ask the buyer what they are complaining about!  Your ad appears to be forthright! You even explain that the key/glass are missing and the clock needs some work.  Would be interested in the details....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 02:41:14 pm »
I think DB is right. It looks like brass plated cast iron. Solid brass means just that, solid brass.

hotloanchick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 06:23:40 pm »
Thanks so much for the replies. I did list it the same way the others were listing because I didnt know much about it. He said that I misrepresented it because I posted it under antiques and put it as post 1940 when they were made around 1987. I would say that is Post 1940, but he says that I exaggerated   just about everything I put in the ad. I guess I will have to take it back and try and resale. Should I change my description? Should i post it under another catagory? I told them in my original ad to ask any questions and also to google the clockmaker and stuff. If they would have done that they would have known that the clock wasn't that old. He made those from around 1984 to 1989. im just stressed about it because thats alot of money Im gonna have to come up with to refund it back to him. Thanks again!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 01:28:53 am »
Legally antique means over 100 years old....(but most of the items listed as antique on ebay aren't either).  You did put that it was post 1940...which is correct.

If you open the back of the clock - on the works it will have a date....I cant make it out by the pic you have posted on Ebay!

That is alot of money...however, you did receive that from the buyer.  If you take it back, be more careful about your wording and listing.

What is some of the feed back from the others on this?

The buyer is a power seller (over 1100) and I know they are more knowledgeable than to buy and then ask questions like this.  Makes me wonder?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 04:54:32 am »
I think the buyer is nit-picking just in hopes of getting his money back. He was probably hoping they were much older and more valuable than you were describing them.

He guessed wrong, ..... you keep the money.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 08:21:41 am »
I agree with Cogar. likely to be a ''Picker'' had intentions of takeing advantage & goofed. I see nothing wrong' with your description.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 11:04:40 am »
My thoughts exactly!!!!!!  I personally would keep the money - if they had any problems - they knew better than not to ask - after all their number in sells proves that!

They were trying to get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for $$$$$$$$ and it backfired!  The other set like yours sold only a few dollars off of your price!

I tried to see the buyers page but with the new privacy setting couldn't see what they sell.  If they sell items of this sort...they definitely were just trying to buy and resell!!!!

hotloanchick

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:42:32 am »
He emailed me today  and gave me the tracking number and basically TOLD me that I was going to give his money back and then filed a claim on Ebay stating that it was a Fake. Im sooooooo stressed out. I do not have the money to give back to him. I relisted it and m praying that someone buys it so i will have the money to give back to him. I did change the description and I will not be taking it back if the next buyer (assuming there is one) wants a refund. Should I fight the claim???

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 10:23:04 am »
I'd suggest not relisting your item , until you have it in your hands .

"Changes' in it's condition may have occurred , what with shipping , handling & and an item in the middle of a dispute .

If it 'disappears' in shipping & someone has bid on it , you'll have another dispute .

hotloanchick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 11:33:55 am »
Thank you guys for your help. Seriously, hearing from you has helped me so much and even if I have to give that jerk his money back, I still feel that I was not in the wrong. I would hate for people to think that I purposely listed and sold a fake anything. The guy obviously didnt know what he was talking about because if he would have googled the clockmaker like I told him to do in my ad, he would have been able to date the clock. But. when he received it, he didnt even completely open the clock and its contents. He said that he opened ONE candelabra and didnt need to go any farther. How can he say stuff about it when he didnt even look at it. UGH!!! Oh well, thanks again for everything. Hopefully everything will work out.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 01:05:49 pm »
Did you list a return policy?