Author Topic: ANVIL with 6-point star with circle in the middle  (Read 10240 times)

chigato

• View Profile
ANVIL with 6-point star with circle in the middle
« on: December 22, 2009, 08:38:23 am »
Howdy, I recently acquired a large heavy(over 100 pounds) anvil that has a star on it with a circle in the middle and was wondering about a sense of value. My freind says that the star gives signifigance to it as a collectible piece. I've never owned an anvil before, but there's something about having one. ( Must be a guy thing). Does any one know what it's worth ? I paid 30 dollars for it. Thanks everyone.

waywardangler

Re: ANVIL with 6-point star with circle in the middle
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 08:58:54 am »
$30 for a 100 lb. anvil is a huge bargain!  I would expect this to go for over $100 depending on condition (no pics) and if this star marking is significant, the price would be much, much higher.  Anvils in my area are valued for there utilitarian use and go for a minimum of $1 a pound.  Signed anvils are worth $$$.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:47:18 am »
Like Horse Shoe's? try anvil tossing. back in the 1920's & 30's there was a tool company named star. there trademark was a six point star. no patent pending, etc. just a six point star.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 11:11:32 am »
I remember hearing my kinfolk talk about anvil tossing and laughing at all the to-do over it!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:32:33 am »
Your anvil is most probably worth an easy $200 considering the prices for new ones.

And the type of "horn" on it also affects the desire for it.

There are a lot of young people taking up or learning the knack of blacksmithing.

Welders, ferriers and machine shops also have needs for an anvil.

see here:  http://for-sale.yakaz.com/old-blacksmith-anvils-for-sale

us335682

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 07:50:54 pm »
Just a note, anvils are going for approx $3 a pound in Missouri right now, my husband is SOOOO envious of your bargin!!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 11:13:37 pm »
Neat to hear the stories about anvils. I used to have horses when I was a teen, and had a wonderful farrier that was one of those old-time storytellers. I would sit and listen to him while he shod my horse. He had this wonderful old red truck that you could spot a mile away because it had all kinds of horses glued onto the exterior of it and parrots that he would hang from the back. His horseshoeing rig was on a sliding system in the bed of the truck and the anvil would slide out the end of the tailgate onto a drop-down support. I have many fond memories of the sound of his hammer hitting the anvil.  :)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 11:28:55 pm »
This may be of interest, it was at the bottom of an Ebay listing:

If you know the whereabouts of one of the following, somewhat obscure, U.S. anvil brands, please contact Richard Postman, author and publisher of Anvils in America, at 320 Fisher Court, Berrien Springs, MI 49103: American (with serial number on front foot), American Scale & Vise, American Skein & Foundry/Badger (decal), Baker, Bay State, Boston (as part of logo), Bradley, Butts & Ordway, Champion, Colonial, Columbia (not to be confused with Columbian), Cranberry, Cray Brothers/BROs, Dunn & Murcott, Eaton, Empire (Tulsa), Gipsey, H.C. Co (H. Cannon Co.), Hoover, James Case/Case, Macarco, Nelson/Big 4, NOHAB (Sweden), Oak Leaf, OmSteel/Omaha/O/S, Pegley, Phoenix, Red Barn, Rev-O-Noc, Riverside, Rock Island, Samson, Southern, Southern Steel & Supply/SSS, Star (six pointed star with diamond or circle in it if it has patent dates on it), Thomas, Vulcan Tool Co. (farrier anvil), Woodruff or Yost. In particular he is interested in a high quality photograph clearly showing the anvil (horn to right) against a solid very light colored background and the logo and any other markings which may be on the anvil. A good way to bring out stamped letters or numbers is to lay the anvil down and dust with flour. Brush off excess flour, leaving it in depressions. Sometimes characters jump out and sometimes the placement of a single one can help identify the anvil. Also report weight. If you would like assistance in identifying an anvil you have you can contact me through the Ask the Seller a Question feature.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 07:32:50 am »
I have been looking for a nice vintage anvil of over 100 pounds for about 5 years now. and 3$/# is about right. I am very jealous of your find!

and as far as anvil tossing.. :) Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCTVkTu71Eg

Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events