Author Topic: Why We Can't Leave Antique Furniture to Our Kids!!  (Read 3140 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Why We Can't Leave Antique Furniture to Our Kids!!
« on: December 24, 2009, 12:52:57 pm »
Look what I found posted on Facebook this morning. Below is a photo of the dining room table that I gave my son a few weeks ago... ON FIRE!!!! Not that this table had any antique value, but it WAS the old Ethan Allen table I grew up with. I am so gonna tan that kid's hide, I don't care if he is chronologically grown up!! I am taking sign-ups for any of you guys that want my antiques left to them in my will.
KIDS!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!

Antiqueaholic in recovery

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Why We Can't Leave Antique Furniture to Our Kids!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 01:08:55 pm »
Tales you' Know Ethan Allen furniture is High Quality Furniture. It even warrants it's own Blog. of which I have to refer from time to time ;D that is nothing short of a shame :'(

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 01:19:39 pm »
It is a set from the early 60's, solid wood but with plastic veneers. Nothin' fancy but functional. Actually I think this was a bar trick of sorts and it probably hasn't hurt the table too much, but nonetheless I'm launching a maternal nagging campaign against both boys on Facebook. That should teach 'em a lesson. Too bad they are too big to turn over my knee!!!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 04:46:17 pm »
Looks like someone spilled an alcohol drink lit on fire.  The bottle on the table is a dead giveaway.  Good thing it's not my grown 'kid'.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 07:14:20 pm »
Wow , taleof7c's ... that's one hot Ethan Allen table !

What's next for it , table-dancers with pinwheels & sparklers ?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 01:56:56 am »
Just glad it's not one of my kids....Santa would have 1 less house to visit!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 11:37:58 pm »
Wow,I'd be pissed off too.

Bet he doesn't burn the one he has to pay for.

Really makes you wonder how the cherished possesions we own will end up if put into the wrong hands.
I'd rather give an item to a total stranger who would appreciate it than a family member who treats it like this.

Guess we all make mistakes though especially when were young.

PS-
Maybe he should bring the photo to a local fire department and ask their thoughts on how it relates to the safety of others.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 11:45:04 pm by Dean Perdue »

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 07:27:19 am »
It is a set from the early 60's, solid wood but with plastic veneers. Nothin' fancy but functional. Actually I think this was a bar trick of sorts and it probably hasn't hurt the table too much, but nonetheless I'm launching a maternal nagging campaign against both boys on Facebook. That should teach 'em a lesson. Too bad they are too big to turn over my knee!!!

I am sure no lasting damage was done.. heck, they just improved the provenance... (in an old man voice; I remember back in the 00's when I set this table ON FIRE.)

Its the drinking I would be concerned with.
I assume they are in their twenties.. there is a reason that insurance companies charge young males more. they are mostly nothing but trouble. And that is the describing the decent ones.
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 10:35:36 am »
Despite the above photos he IS a good kid- They take turns as designated driver. He graduated from college, works at a good job and pays his own rent, so I can't complain too much. And he did tell me straight up NOT to give him anything I cared about at this point in his life. Mum was forewarned. LOL.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 11:19:45 am »
You could have a lot of fun with this tho'....take a canvas bag and write his name and the words "inheritance" on it and set it on fire....take a pic and post it!

Kids...do the darnedest things!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 01:45:57 pm »
OH!!! YES!!! What a fantastic idea!! Lemme think this one through about where that could be done safely. KC my hat is off to you. You are truly devious!!! :D