Author Topic: Info on this lamp please!  (Read 5574 times)

Ducky316

• View Profile
Info on this lamp please!
« on: December 26, 2009, 03:47:08 am »
Hi all!
I'm new the forum! I came here in the hopes of finding someone who might be able to help me.
I purchased this lamp at an antique store about 10 years ago....I know nothing about it. I bought it because I liked it. Now I am considering selling it as it doesn't really go with anything anymore, but I'd like to know what I have before I do so.

I cannot find the measuring tape so I can't tell you how tall it is...but it is very tall. The lamp shade is very light and fragile..and is paper thin. I can't even tell you what it's made of. The base and stem appear to be brass and extremely heavy. It has flowers, leaves and vine. The only marking I have been able to find on it is just a number under the base..# 459. There is nothing on the underside of the lamp shade.
Does anyone know who the manufacturer might be? Or anything about this lamp? Even the style name would help if you know. I have absolutely nothing to go on, and have yet to even find anything similar online.

Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 05:22:23 am by Ducky316 »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Info on this lamp please!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 09:19:36 am »
The lamp Design & Style is Art Nouveau. I suspect there is steel weight in the bottom due to the fact. the lamp is top heavy. the economy being what it is. $125.00 Dollars. High End B/M Brick & Mortar shop you could expect too pay more.

It is a reproduction.

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 10:08:34 am »
The lampshade appears to be constructed of fish scales like they make those souvenir mobiles or 'wind chimes' out of.  That would explain the lightness of its' weight.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 11:21:06 am »
I have seen them made of fish scales as well...but was sondering if this was a form of celluloid?!?!?!?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ducky316

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 03:36:41 pm »
The lampshade appears to be constructed of fish scales like they make those souvenir mobiles or 'wind chimes' out of.  That would explain the lightness of its' weight.

Well....over the years I've had many things made from fish scales....I don't think that's the material. It may look like it to a certain degree, but when you feel it the texture is different. It almost feels like hard paper actually!

Ducky316

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 03:41:21 pm »
The lamp Design & Style is Art Nouveau. I suspect there is steel weight in the bottom due to the fact. the lamp is top heavy. the economy being what it is. $125.00 Dollars. High End B/M Brick & Mortar shop you could expect too pay more.

It is a reproduction.

You are right...There is a steel block underneath the lamp, and it probably travels up through the neck of the lamp. If it's only worth 125.00 I will be keeping it...
Thanks for the info though!!!!  ;D

Ducky316

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 03:42:55 pm »
I have seen them made of fish scales as well...but was sondering if this was a form of celluloid?!?!?!?

Celluloid???? I'm not sure what that is....Would the texture remind me of hard thin paper????

Ducky316

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 04:50:20 pm »
Is it possible the shade is made out of mica? I have found lots of shades that look very similar to mine as far as finish goes..but can't locate info on the weight of mica...any thoughts?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 05:11:02 pm »
I agree with Ducky, Sure looks like Mica to me. 99% Sure

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 07:19:05 pm »
Would mica be curved like that? each of the "petals" appear to have a pretty good curve to them.
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 07:58:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum , Ducky316 .

On the celluloid texture question , think 'ping-pong ball' .

Used to be an uber-popular substance , but due to high flamability & 'better' plastics , its' use has waned .

Ducky316

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 12:07:03 am »
Would mica be curved like that? each of the "petals" appear to have a pretty good curve to them.

My understanding is that Mica Glass can be molded just like anything else.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 07:47:25 am »
I believe your lamp shade is made of what is called Capiz Shells - Capiz is a province of the Philippines located in the Western Visayas region.Capiz is known for its mother-of-pearl shells that have the same name and are used for decoration, making lampshades, trays, wind chimes, etc.. I live on the east coast and if you go into any little mom & pop shop on the cape or islands you will find these wind chimes for sale. Really pretty, very thin and  curved they use dye to sometimes get a wide range of colors. This is an example for sale on ebay item # 280428097534  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 08:15:29 am by wendy177 »

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 08:59:42 am »
As to appearance , I thought the same as wendy177 ... looks like capiz shell to me .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "