Author Topic: Antique Cage  (Read 35510 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Antique Cage
« on: December 27, 2009, 01:02:14 pm »
So, I have been trying to win an antique cage on EBAY for a few weeks with no luck. Someone always comes in within the last 3 seconds and outbids me. I got tired of trying and started searching CL in areas other than mine. I found this cage listed at $40. But Since it's a 4 hour rounds trip right during the holidays, I asked them to hold it for over a week and I'd give them $60. So, I'm picking it up Wednesday but I have a few questions.

Does the stand appear to be antique, maybe the original? Does it look like a repro?

I just now noticed that the cage is missing the bottom, should it be fairly easy to find a replacement? I know a lot of people have severly damaged cages like this, maybe they'd sell me the bottom for cheap?

Is this a good deal? Sorry I don't have more detailed pictures, thanks for any input!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Antique Cage
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 02:05:28 pm »
That's a good deal on the stand. it's 1920's. you might want to check with Greg over at North Fork Pet's as to a base for the cage, I think it could be a problem. unless you make one.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 04:14:21 pm »
Just the stand is worth that amount.  Agree with D&b.  Might have to have a bottom made for it....but if that is what you like/want...go for it.

Beautiful stand!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 06:56:25 pm »
Too bad it is not a Hendryx cage that needs a rectangular brass bottom as I have one to fit.  Nice stand.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 07:52:01 pm »
To remedy being outbid in the final seconds of an auction, I use this site: http://www.auctionsniper.com I use it only for items where there is likely to be a bidding war, or if I have to be away from my computer when an auction ends. It will shoot in your bid in the final seconds, which is when most of the action usually takes place. You get a certain number of free "snipes" and you get more as you refer others to the site. So far, I've never had to pay for them and I've been using it successfully for a couple of years now. You will only win if you are the high bidder though, so you have to calculate the highest amount you're willing to pay and then sit back and watch the action.

"Sniping" is pretty much how competitive auctions are won, and it can be fun to do it manually, if you are pretty fast with your "trigger finger" on the keyboard!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 08:43:00 pm »
Look up a local welder to fabricate a bottom for your cage if you aren't able to construct your own. I would wait until you have it in-hand and then design something that will clip on, rather than permanently altering the cage. Lovely cage and stand! Good going!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 10:39:43 am »
A Machine Shop or Sheetmetal Shop can cut you a thin piece of circular aluminum and most probably can affix 3 or 4 "spring clips" so that it will "snap-on" to the bottom of your cage.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 11:27:03 am »
Thanks for all the advice guys, you're always so helpful! They said they may even deliver it to me, which would save a ton of time and gas. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I'll look up places to make me a simple bottom. I can't imagine it costing a fortune. I hope everything goes well because now I'm really excited. Thanks again!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 05:52:07 pm »
I LOVE AUCTION SNIPER!!!!  Works for me!  Ticks other people off....but I know what I pay top amount....and don't always have time to play the game and bid at the last minute!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 11:32:18 am »
The other nice feature about Auction Sniper is that you can change your bid amount if you have a change of heart.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 04:54:26 pm »
Well, I feel like I might be getting the run around from the seller. She did email me this morning to say that she is working too much and her boyfriend is now responsible for the cage. She said to contact him so we called and emailed and he hasn't emailed back. But it's only 3:00pm, maybe he's working. But Portland had a big snow storm last night and I really don't want to make the drive there at night when the temp goes back down below freezing! I also looked at that North Fork's website and wow, I guess I am gettin' a good deal. Their stands from the 20's (that aren't nearly as detailed) are between $200-$400. Well, wish me luck! I really don't want to be stood up. :(

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 09:25:54 pm »
Best of luck!!!!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 10:17:53 pm »
Well, the boyfriend said he can't deliver it until Saturday. He's going to Seattle too late tonight to meet us so he's going to keep it in his car until he comes back from Seattle on Saturday. Anyone else seeing this go badly? I do!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 11:07:53 pm »
   Does sound a bit Wonkie of a deal, but I live in Seattle, need someone to fetch it?  It does sound like a great deal really hope you get it.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 11:14:51 pm »
That's really very nice of you ironlord1963, but they didn't really offer for us to come pick it up for some reason. They kinda insisted they deliver it on Saturday on their way back down to Portland. So I guess I won't bug them too much, I'll just have to be patient and see how everything goes. I'm the most impatient person I know, especially when it comes to antiques! These next few days will be so long. Nice to meet someone from my neck of the woods. I'm in Graham. I grew up in Tacoma.  :)