Author Topic: Antique Cage  (Read 35508 times)

waywardangler

Re: Antique Cage
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 12:19:54 pm »
Re: Hendryx birdcages.  I believe only the fishing tackle division was sold to Winchester in 1919.  The birdcages continued to be marked Hendryx for years.  Reference www.businessnewhave n.com/article_page.lasso?id=42616   
[Over time the Audubon Street plant became obsolete. The company planned to move into a new facility in Branford but later abandoned the idea and instead sold its assets to the Chicago-based Prevue Metal Products. However, the company's birdcages still carry the Hendryx name. Observed company co-owner Richard Savitt, "Hendryx is the oldest living faction of the pet industry and is very well recognized in the marketplace. It's a major antique item throughout the world. There's no way we were going to lose that history."
In December of 1996 the last remnants of the Audubon Street plant were sold at a two-day auction.]

In its heyday, Hendryx had..." During the year of 1903 the company purchased the property adjoining on the south formerly occupied by the New Haven Chair Company, thereby more than doubling their original plant.
At the present time they manufacture 350 different styles and sizes of brass, bronze and japanned bird and animal cages, and in addition complete lines of fishing reels, artificial baits, chains and wire picture cord."
Google Andrew B. Hendryx Company for references to above info.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 01:04:30 am »
Wow, thanks for all that advice! You guys always know just where to look for the right info. I picked up my new cage tonight. The girl looked really young. What am I saying really young? She looked my age (23). :D

The bottom is very rusted, I'm cleaning it with baking soda and vinegar. The rust is just dripping away. I hope I'm not doing this incorrectly, but the metal appears fine and red water is just coming off. I just know that if I do nothing, the stand will rust through fairly quickly. Maybe within a few years. It has been kept outside in Oregon weather. I can tell because the stand was filled with spiderwebs and cocoons. Yuck.

The cage is a hendryx, so I'll be scoping places for an original bottom. I prefer it over a brand new one. I may ask North Fork, but I saw a small hendryx bottom on their site and it was $100. I don't really want to spend that much. I may have to though. The stand is actually pretty. The long bar has a simple design and a nice green patina on parts. Just the base is bad. The top of the stand has minor rust, but I'll just leave it because I also like it's patina. I'm not trying to make this thing look brand spankin' new. But I want it to be appealing to the eye, and right now it's definitely not. I may try to polish the cage itself. I believe it's brass. Any recommended products/chemicals if I decide to? I already bought some vintage glass hendryx feeders on ebay, too. I think I may have found a new antique "category" to collect. Oh no!

By the way, my camera is making everything look great again. The cage is nowhere near that color. It's very dull. That's the color I want it to be though!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:07:15 am by hosman321 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 01:33:57 am »
Great day for you.  Good news, and thanks for the journey, hope to hear more of these sucess stories from you in the future.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 04:20:08 am »
After 5 hours of scrubbing I can finally see....is that really...tiny little spots of bare metal?! Another 100 hours or so of scrubbing and this thing might actually be rust free lol.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 05:53:21 am »
Beautiful I am in love with this piece!!!! Keep cleaning and please post photos when you are done!!!!

waywardangler

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 07:48:18 am »
Very nice looking cage and stand hosman!  If you want to stabilize the rust on the bottom and are not worried about the antique aspect, there is a product you can buy.  I have used it on rust on a trailer and then painted it black.  It is Plasti-Kote brand Rust Converter.  I bought mine at the hardware store.  It chemically converts the rust to a black stable finish and you can then paint over it without bleed through.  This is only if you are going to paint the base anyway.  If you want to keep it as is, I would buy a brass brush at the harware store (welding section) to help get in the scrolls and scrub loose rust out.

As for a Hendryx cage bottom, I would just keep searching secondhand stores, SA, Goodwill, online auctions, antique shops, post a "wanted" on Craigslist, etc. as they made these cages for years and there are alot of them out there.  The bottoms are the first to go because people did not clean them when they put them away and the natural chemicals ate away the metal.

waywardangler

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 07:54:54 am »
I just went on Etsy under vintage and typed birdcage and a little ways down there is a cage that looks identical to yours (only in real nice condition with the round brass bottom) for $185.  It says it is 10" in diameter.  At the very least, you will be able to see what the bottom tray should look like.  It is not just a thin sheet of metal but a formed brass round dished tray that adds alot to the character of the birdcage.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 09:58:48 am »
Hooray!! Nice find you have there! Looks fantastic! It's always great when you get a good deal like that. Well done!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 10:42:19 am »
Congrats on closing the deal on the cage , sans 'the bird' , hosman321 !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 11:33:25 am »
Congrats on getting the cage/stand!  Looks great.  Some hours of work on it and you will truly feel you own it!

There's nothing like the hunt, find, buy and have it in your hands!!!!!

The style on the stand is very famous from Victorian times.  If you look at Victorian swing-arm drapery rods...majority are made with this design!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 02:08:47 pm »
Thanks for the compliments guys. I know this cage and stand aren't particularly unique or rare, but I just think they are wonderful! Probably one of the coolest antiques I have. I don't know though, I love a lot of my rare newspapers too. Most of the reason I love antiques are the history behind them, not necessarily the item. What has this cage seen? Who kept it during the depression? Who enjoyed their little birds during WWII when it felt like the world was falling apart? Who passed it down to their kids? May sound cheesy, but I just love wondering where it's been.

I have been looking on ebay and found a few complete hendryx cages exactly like mine. There are 3 different bases, a tapletop-type one with a pedestal. A fairly large base that has a slide out tray, and a plain piece of metal that just clips on. I really want the slide out one. There's one on Ebay but the entire cage was painted red and looks really ugly. Although I bet it could be removed. But I went kinda crazy this payday and spent way too much money. I've been cut off. :(  I don't want to miss out on some of the deals, but I'll just have to wait. I can't decide yet if I'll paint the stand. I just love the green metal so I guess I'll scrub a little longer to see where I get. If anyone happens to see a bottom for cheap, or maybe a really damaged cage with a bottom, please let me know! The bottom of the cage is 10" from one side to the other. Now I'm excited to get my little hendryx glass feeders, I'm watchin' for the mailman. I also find it amazing the size of cages people used to keep living things in. I raise birds and I wouldn't even keep a single finch in something that tiny!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:10:44 pm by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 02:28:21 pm »
I would bid on the red painted one.  It would be worth it just for the base.  The paint will come off metal with remover.  The brass may be a little shiny but that will patinate within a year to a dull finish.  If the reserve is not too high (why does the seller have a reserve on an overpainted birdcage?) it would be OK.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 02:53:30 pm »
Well, I bid $25 and that's not enough. If it's still there on payday maybe I'll go a little higher. But I hope he's not expecting to get over $100 or something for a painted cage.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 03:52:10 pm »
Getting there...
I think my arms might fall off. Defnitely buying wire brushes tonight. I've been using crumpled up tin foil. Works great, but my hands hurt. Big difference from that first pic, huh?