Author Topic: Antique Cage  (Read 35509 times)

waywardangler

Re: Antique Cage
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2010, 04:08:41 pm »
WOW, that looks real good!  I did not know tinfoil did such a great job.  How many jars of elbow grease did it take to get it looking like that?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2010, 04:37:52 pm »
I just soak it in peroxide for about 10-15 minutes. Add a little baking soda for some grit and start scrubbing with tin foil. Rinse away the rust and repeat. Sometimes I use vinegar and baking soda instead. I have used about half a bottle of peroxide. Half a box of baking soda. And one bottle of vinegar. As for how much elbow grease? I have nothin' left lol. At least it's a good workout! I'm hoping it will go faster once I have brushes.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 03:06:09 am »
Ok, so I have kind of hit a road block with the rust over here. All the scrubbing in the world isn't removing the last bit. I have a few questions about what to do next...
I am finding a nice green paint on the top. It doesn't really look like patina to me, it looks more like old paint. And I'm liking that color better than the Antique White paint I was imagining. Plus, it will be easier to use a medium color if I'm going to use that rust converter product that will turn the rust black. White would take a few coats to cover it. But the product says, "Use on Rusty Surfaces composed of Steel only." Is the base to my stand composed of steel? What if it's Iron? Metals definitely aren't my area, should I use this product on there?

Also, are there any paint brands anyone recommends? Or will pretty much any non-glossy paint do fine? Should it be oil based? Water based? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do this right and also make it still look old! I definitely don't want some shiny glossy looking antique. Thanks for any input.

The second pic is of my baby Lady Gouldian finch, Squirt. He flew up there and took a little nap, I had to take a pic. I also got my two glass feeders today, they fit great.

The green color is kinda the color I want to use, a dull green.
Made a big boo-boo though and bought the cage in the last pic today. We'll call it my early birthday present. Sigh.

waywardangler

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 05:00:38 am »
Iron has steel and steel has iron.  Iron has more carbon content than steel so it can pour but steel contains iron.  The alloy makeup is a little different but for your purposes the rust converter should work fine.  For paint, I would use De-rusto or a similar type.  Spray paint for metal would work here also.

jkski8884

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 08:30:47 am »
I don't know too much about antiques, but I wanted to comment that it's beautiful!!!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 10:21:12 am »
I am finding a nice green paint on the top. It doesn't really look like patina to me, it looks more like old paint. And I'm liking that color better than the Antique White paint I was imagining. Plus, it will be easier to use a medium color if I'm going to use that rust converter product that will turn the rust black. White would take a few coats to cover it. But the product says, "Use on Rusty Surfaces composed of Steel only." Is the base to my stand composed of steel? What if it's Iron? Metals definitely aren't my area, should I use this product on there?

Well now, I've been watching this thread with interest and amusement.

Now iffen it was me cleaning that stand up the first thing I would have done was give it a good stiff brushing with a "steel bristled" wire brush, like this one, to wit:

Then I would have applied a good thick coat of paint remover all over it and after about an hour I would have went to work on it again with that "steel bristled" wire brush.

And via that brush, a sharp pointed metal pick and more dabs of paint remover where necessary, within a couple hours of brushing really hard it would have been shining all pretty n' clean and ready to spray paint with a can of "satin finish" rust inhibitor spray paint. 

And 2 coats of spray paint would keep it looking purty for the next 20 years except for any dust collecting on it.

Cheers

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 03:12:31 pm »
I agree with cogar that is the route I would have taken....least liked with all the muscle it takes....but the best results as far as I am concerned!

Why, here in the south they spray rusted items with a clear finish so that it looks rusted and stops it from rusting further!  Sells better!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2010, 01:16:54 am »
Ok, I seriously can't make up my mind with this stand. I love the antique white (which I plan on sanding down a little bit) but I also love the green. The middle bar is super dull so the green matches that better. I also sort of like the top being green and the bottom being white. I just need some advice, I can't figure this out. I will also use sandpaper on the green to make it less "new" looking if I keep it. Should I make the top white, too? Sigh.

By the way, we don't ever use this shower. That's why it's kind of gross. And now, it's green too. Uh oh. Hope I don't get in trouble for that!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 01:19:01 am by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 02:54:55 am »
Oh, and there are also marks on the underneath. Is it possible to find out when/where this came from if they are only numbers and letters?

One of them is B44 and the other is E376. Possibly E375.

The only maker's marks that I can find that has either a capital B4 or E3 are these Finnish ones. But mine is B44 and E376/5 so I don't know...

http://www.925-1000.com/Ffinland_Date_Code.html

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 10:51:45 am »
Another option is to leave all the paint off and to periodically use olive oil to keep the iron looking nice and the rust away. That's what I did with my iron and bronze door knocker. It is outside in the elements, but a coating of olive oil about once every couple of months keeps it looking great with no paint or other finishes.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2010, 12:57:03 pm »
Good advice Talesof!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:57:33 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2010, 04:39:24 pm »
Great, now I painted it. :(

I really don't wanna take all that paint off now, I should have asked you guys first. I think I might just paint the middle bar white, too. I'm almost positive it was brass plated at one point but all the brass plating has weathered away over 100 years or so. So, now it's an ugly bare metal and most websites say there isn't much you can do with the ugly metal underneath brass plating. Except paint it. Or, brass plate it again, which I don't really wanna do. Plus, I plan on keeping this thing for a very long time. So it's really just how I want it to be. As long as I don't do permanent damage, I think I'm in the green.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2010, 07:00:28 pm »
Bottom line...this is yours.  You are the one to live with it and love it.  Do it the way that pleases you.

Someone down the line may get it when a relative wants to rework it or sells it...and they may strip it...and repeat the process again!  :)

There are so many antique pieces I LOVE out there...but only so many I "should" have.  So, get and use the ones that you can!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2010, 07:15:47 pm »
Ok, I'm done. I'm pleased with it. For now lol.
I may paint the top part white later, who knows. But I like the green. I'll probably make the leaves on the base green just to tie it together better so it's not a drastic contrast. Thanks for all the help guys, sorry if I got a little annoying with this cage/stand!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2010, 07:19:01 pm »
Well I think your Finch Squirt will approve  ;D   It is a wonderful piece with a story behind it and several lesson, Good deal once you got it.  Looks Like you won all around.