Author Topic: Old Foreign Coins  (Read 1739 times)

pilot2b

• View Profile
Old Foreign Coins
« on: December 29, 2009, 02:19:23 pm »
This is a collection of coins that I believe my grandpa collected while traveling with the Navy.  I am able to identify where some of them are from, but some of the languages I can't understand.  Are any of these valuable?  Thanks!

Skinny

• View Profile
Re: Old Foreign Coins
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 08:44:37 pm »
The big silver one on the top caught my eye.  It would almost certainly have some value. It's to bad it has a hole in it. I don't know how detrimental that might or might not be to it's value. Looks like a Silver Ducat, maybe from the Netherlands, but that's a guess. The man killing the dragon is probably St. George. The script seems to be Latin, anyway I can't make it out. I would try to find a good foreign coin forum online somewhere. Somebody in the know could save you hours and hours of research.

As for the others, probably not worth to much. They don't tend to be worth a lot as a rule, but I'm sure there are exceptions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:14:09 pm by Skinny »

jbartlet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 03:12:35 pm »
the "5" with the wreath is Swiss.  not worth anything.  I just came into my grandfather's old coins too so i've done some looking. 

The canadian ones aren't special either.  the 1920 nickel might be like $1 or two... 

I think the 1 Ore is Denmark or Sweden.  I have bag full of Ores - haven't looked into value of any of them though.  but generally, I think anything newer than 1880 or so and not in mint/uncirculated/graded condition isn't worth a whole lot.   unless it's some unique errored coin or something. 

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 06:42:34 pm »
Yeah, I think the 1672 ducat is probably the only one here with much value. I would think it would be worth fifty dollars at least, could be quite a bit more or maybe a little less. Find a coin forum, and good luck!