Author Topic: Wm A Rogers Oneida A1 silver ware - Does anyone know this pattern?  (Read 7766 times)

andejean

• View Profile

I recieved my Grandmothers silver for christmas, and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this pattern? I know it is Wm A Rogers, A1 Oneida ltd. I read that Oneida took over the Wm. A Rogers name in the late 20s. My grandparents got married in 1935. I think they are newer than that, I have what i think is the original guaranty, and it say 1-14-46 in the lower left corner. Can I assume that is the date of issue? Any info on age or value is greatly appreciated. should I get them insured?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Wm A Rogers Oneida A1 silver ware - Does anyone know this pattern?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 10:18:33 pm »
Your pattern is Rosalie, made in 1938, by the Onieda Company under the Hallmark of Wm. A Rogers.  Long history in story of the Silver Company, who bought who and etc.  The two biggest ended up being International and Onieda.  The value of your set is around $75.00 max, will get 50 on Ebay.  Silverplate has some value, but so much was made and inherited, the market is saturated.  What is the size of your set?, If you have many serving pieces it will help the value. 

andejean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:24:29 am »
The set is in a wooden box, 12 knives with stainless blades, 12 forks, 10 teaspoons (some missing I assume...), a single odd shaped spoon, I don't know much about silverware, but perhaps it is a sugar spoon?, 12 tablespoons, 2 larger serving spoons, a butter knife, or spreader of some sort, and a ladle.

I also have some other odd pieces, but they are of a different pattern and some of a different manufacturer.

I'm not interested in selling, but does it sound like I should insure them, or just put them under a general rider. They are worth much more sentimentally.

Also, do you know what the 1/14/46 stands for? it looks so much like a date.

Thank you so much!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:37:35 am »
Not sure if the value will warrant insurance, as for the date that may be the actual date of purchase.  Some patterns was made for many years after the first issue date, that may be the case here, I will have to look at a few books and see if they made this pattern for that long.  Which would be a bit unusual for most patterns was made for a year or just a few.  You may want to look into your other patterns some patterns are very sought after and may have a gem in the raw per say.   

andejean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 09:47:46 am »
Thanks! I will look into them. I'll post pictures later today.

andejean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:46:35 am »

This spoon is really beat up, it is marked tudor plate Oneida Community Made

this is a set of four serving spoons, marked Wm Rogers mfg co. Original Rogers

This is a pie server, marked superior stainless USA. This I am pretty sure is not antique... but not sure.

This pie server is marked Oneida Community

This spreader is marked 1847 rogers bros

andejean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:52:41 am »

This spoon is marked pat 1901 Simeon L & George H. Rogers Company A1

This small ladle is marked Silverplate.

I do not know anything about these, some of this may be from my great grandmothers set, or my great aunts. Any info would be terrific!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 12:28:54 pm »
Love that 1901 serving spoon! I haven't seen one quite like that before. Thanks for posting this, I too have a lot of family silver. One thing that my family did was to engrave family members initials on spoons. I think this is a good thing that can make some of the less valuable pieces more special and to make use of interesting single pieces. These spoons got handed down through the family and I now have six generations represented. When my son was born, I was given a gold-dipped demitasse spoon from my grandmother's wedding silver to engrave with my son's initials. It has become a neat tradition in the family. You might enjoy doing the same!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 08:20:45 pm »
    Nice Stuff, thanks for the additional pics.  The first one is a Thelma aka Hampton - 1928,  The second one is a Silvermist aka Marigold - 1935, The stainless well all I can say is it looks just like our everyday set made by onieda,  Next is one close to my heart, That pie server is called a Lady Densmore aka Woodland rose I got my lady that set for christmas last year it was made in 1955, Next is the spreader this one is a winner.  Called a Ambassador made in 1919, this pattern is considered Collectible, could be a $10.00 to $15.00 piece.  I also like tales like your Webster aka Warren serving spoon, all my books list it as 1900, This one is also considered Collectable, based on it is extra fancy and also a thin market piece, meaning not many of these was made.  The books don't consider it as Collectible but I would say you have a $20.00 to $25.00 piece there, these are book values and would probably yield a bit less in the real market.  The value is just to give you a ideal of value, personally shine them up and hang them on the wall. 
    I personnally collect silverplate flatware, and have fun with them like a coin collector,  I usually get my items from thrift stores from .25 to 1.00 each, by rummaging around in the silver bin.  I have got some really good scores.  I add this to give you a real ideal of value, and to let anyone know the fun in collecting flatware.  I hope this helps you a bit and again thanks for sharing.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 09:35:24 pm »
Yepper...the 1901 Webster is my favorite.  I collect lots of "odd" pieces that have character like this one!  See how many like it here....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!