Author Topic: lime green fish bowl with stand/lamp combo value?  (Read 5063 times)

Overloaded

• View Profile
lime green fish bowl with stand/lamp combo value?
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:25:23 am »
Need help ID this fish bowl/stand that dad wants to sell  :'( I would have kept it if I wasn't broke  myself I would have brought it off him to keep it in the family.

Lamp obviously still work :)

The words "stamped" on the bottom of the bowl reads "Patented Nov 27 1928" It shows lime green sheen to it and to take a look into the glass itself it has series of tiny bubbles. Cool looking!

The whole thing stands at 39 1/4ish '' tall and the widest point is its base which is around 17'' long, 13 1/4ish'' wide.

Any one knows what the deal is with this setup?

railman44

• View Profile
Re: lime green fish bowl with stand/lamp combo value?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:41:16 am »
I don't know if I like water that close to an electrial appliance (especially above).  I'm sure the bowl is glass and not plastic.  Nice looking and different but I would never fill it with water.

Overloaded

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 10:52:40 am »
I'm a fish hobbyist keeper myself (keeping scores of tanks)  and I wouldn't be worried about putting water in this as the glass is very thick as its 1/4'' thick in some areas, and we have kept fish in it from time to time however we have not plugged it in as its pointless due to the dim light it gives out. Totally pointless to have it plugged in as it could heat the water and wouldn't be good for fish. I only plugged it in to show that the lamp does indeed work.

I know its one of a kind and I've seen cool shaped lime green glass bowls and this one is not  the same either the top and the bottom shapes are totally different sized. They fetch for quite a bit but with the lamp feature it just threw me off as I yet have not found one single other stand with the lamp feature as well too

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:14:23 am »
I'am thinking, Planetarium. could'nt get a close up on the lamp. so..... $225.00 Dollars.

Overloaded

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 02:04:31 pm »
where did you get that word from planetarium?

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 02:19:15 pm »
Very neat item!  How stable is it on the stand?  The bowl part looks top heavy to me on the sides that are the large flat sides.  How much pressure does it take to tip it if the bowl was filled?  I am not sure if I am explaining this right but on two sides it seems OK (the narrow ends) and on the wide flat sides it appears the base is not wide enough to support a side bump.  Maybe it is supposed to be a terrarium and the heat from the lamp would be Ok for a lizard or snake?  Was there or is there a lid for the top?  The lips look like a lid (probably metal) would set right over them.  Very unique and I think D&b is pretty close on value.

Overloaded

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 02:24:20 pm »
it takes quite alot force to topple over the stand when its filled

the metal is actually super heavy. the glass vase itself is 12'' tall and the widest point is 14 1/2'' for the vase itself whereas the widest the (narrow) portion of the vase is 6'' wide

and the base itself the narrowest point is 13 1/4'' so its double wider than the vase itself for giving it great support.

that makes sense if that was what it was used for herps/reptiles as the vase top base is actually very flat to the touch so that might have been what was missing to the untrained eye.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 02:33:58 pm »
Have not seen one identical to yours .... it's a cool little unit .

As wwangler mentioned , it looks a bit top-heavy (if filled with H2O) and is perhaps why many of these are not around ?

My silly little mind said "That's a H of a Saki warmer!" .

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 03:29:38 pm »
 ;DPlanetarium is what you get when your ''talking'' to your wife & typeing at the same time.

Overloaded

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 06:28:54 pm »
lol  ;D

Still can't find something like this but did find other cool antique "terriarums" 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 11:22:33 am »
planetarium
1. a representation of the planetary system, particularly one in which the movements of the planets are simulated by projectors.
2. a room or building housing such an apparatus.

Don't think it's that....or I want to see the the mini people that come to the event in the bowl!  :)

Do believe it is more towards the terrarium idea.  When I was young I had a hanging aquarium that had a light....was so neat...but hard as heck to clean and hang with the water weight in it!  Used to see items like this in the Florida, California "beachy" areas in the 70's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

keeferkeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 08:54:40 am »
Hello!

Unless I just didn't follow the thread of this post correctly - it doesn't look as if you ever got a very clear affirmative answer. I'm an avid fishbowl collector and although I haven’t seen this exact fishbowl / aquarium (which is what they sometimes were called), I own several that have lights of all different kinds. Sometimes the shades are added because people though they looked better than none so they add it. But most I've seen are exposed bulbs or ones with bulbs to the left and right of the actual bowl. I do have one with original shades but they are small shades that fit around the bulb and expose the light at the top so it will illuminate the bow. 

If you're looking for more info on this please feel free to contact me! I love fishbowl talk!

Best of luck to you.

keeferkeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 08:51:52 am »
Hello again! Just curious if you received my message on your fishbowl w/stand offering you my opinions / expertise being a collector of them for a long time now.  I'm also curious to know if you ever sold it (not that I'm in the market in this economy) but sadly curious!

I hope you were able to feel comfortable with identifying it but would love to help if I can.

Hope all is well!