Author Topic: Wood Carved door  (Read 5293 times)

jkski8884

• View Profile
Wood Carved door
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:15:16 am »
Here is an awesome wood door that I believe is original to the house...Although, maybe someone can help me date it, so I can look up more info. I live in Oshkosh WI, which back in the day held a huge Lumber Mill called Paine Lumber Co. (I believe) So that's where I plan to start looking. Unfortunately the door was at some point painted black, but my husband stripped the paint as best he could. It's quite weatherd, however, it does still have the original hardware. It measures about 77 inches in height and 32 1/4 wide. The glass was taken out and (for the time being- we inserted plexi glass) as we put in a storm door to protect it.

jkski8884

• View Profile
Re: Wood Carved door
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:18:02 am »
additional photos...I also photgraphed the inside of the door- which has no carving

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:43:41 am »
You can bet this door was the talk of of the town. see some water damage lower bottom. No biggy has to be expected. it's and out side door. the center ingraveings are known as spoon carveings.

Depending on who's selling.$700.00 to $1,000.00 Dollars.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:48:17 am »
Love it!!! I am mega-jealous!!! The hardware and architectural features of the door all look like ones that are typical of the San Francisco Victorian homes we have out this way. Except for the carved design in the center. I've never seen a door quite like that. It's VERY VERY cool!!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:57:21 am »
 ;D ;D ;DTales the price just went up! I'am thinking that spoon carveing. look's as tho and indian family, may have done some of the work.

jkski8884

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:09:42 am »
D&B- why would you say an indian may have done some of the work??? Is there some sort of carving that was common among them? Just curious...as Indians were the fist settlers here and I live really close to the lake which was named by the Menomonee Indians who first arrived here (and probably lived where I live now)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 11:11:12 am »
LOL aw c'mon D&B! Give an antiques buddy a deal!  ;D

I love the way Victorian architecture was so fanciful. Like they took whatever they liked and threw it up on the house! I never get tired of looking at old Victorians. I wish modern houses still looked like that. Looks like your hubby did a great job returning it to its original look. Beautiful!!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:17:29 am »
Is it just me or does the floral carving look Pennsylvania Dutch style to anyone?  Like something you would see painted on a blanket chest? (just a rookie's two cents worth!) That's the neat thing about Victorian stuff, they borrowed a lot of design influences from other cultures. Anything goes.

jkski8884

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 11:23:19 am »
Tales- the weird thing is...is that we don't live in a victorian house...our house looks like a big ol' farm house...

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 11:33:48 am »
It's the configuration of the spoon carveing in the lower part. The flower design. theres some thing about it. the craftmans may have had indian blood.

jkski8884

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 11:43:43 am »
I have to agree with you D&B- I actually thought the same thing before posting this, but I was just curious, why you thought the same way. I've tried to find info. on doors made by Paine Lumber Co. but unfortunately there isn't much info. on their products...just company history. I know the Company was started in 1853 and our home was built in 1869. Leaves a lot to think about and a lot of searching...

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 12:20:01 pm »
The interior of the door is showing yellow pine. which is hard as nails. when it dry's out. so the exterior work was added to the door.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 12:21:53 pm »
Sometimes those doors had etched pictures in the door glass.  As more people become nostalgic, the value will rise when more of those types of relics are incorporated in new structure.  The hardware is very cool too.  

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 12:54:00 pm »
Beautiful door.  I was thinking Penn Dutch as well Talesof when I first saw it.  Very simple but easily elegant.

I would raise that to $1200. 

There is something that makes you look, look again, then again at the handiwork.........j ust can't put my finger on it yet!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jkski8884

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 07:50:11 pm »
D&B- the yellow pine would make sense (to me).  We have the Pine flooring on the 2nd floor of our house and it looks very similar, however, I always thought Pine was a very soft wood? All our floors seen to dent VERY easily. Our flooring may not be Yellow Pine, but I do know it is pine (unstained) which brings it to an orange-y color...again, another thing I'm learning about (different wood types)fun stuff!!!