Author Topic: Antique jug?  (Read 3338 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Antique jug?
« on: January 15, 2010, 05:08:20 am »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370317592253&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I just won this item on ebay and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I know, I haven't even gotten it yet! I guess I get excited. I have a feeling it may be a bit newer than the 1800's, maybe the 20's? I just want to know if I got a good deal. $18.25+$24 shipping from England.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:27:24 am by hosman321 »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Antique jug?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:08:36 am »
You noticed they did say' 19th century, I agree with the 1920's. 

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:59:27 am »
The 19th Century would be before 1801-1900.  The 20th Century would be 1901-2000.  We are currently in the 21st Century.  Always confusing to me. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:36:39 pm »
Just curious how they could claim 19th century if there are no valid markings or history behind it!

Very nice piece tho'.

I am betting early 1900's myself!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:34:23 pm »
   Nice Jug Hosman, Decorative value makes it worth, despite it age.  Love the lion heads on the handle brackets.  Probably just posted what they thought was the age.  It may be 20's which I would liberally agree, However Before this forum I might of believed so, or would of taken the word of someone and posted it as such.  So maybe who posted it has not heard of this forum yet,  :D.  1900's, Victorian, Art Novea, and Antique seem to be a really abused Tag added to descriptions.  I would gambit most do not know better or believe the stories handed down on a item from family members of the past.  I personnally now see these word as, well lets take that extra careful double check.  Thanks from the lessons of the Forum, I now only get fouled half the time  ;).     
    All in all you are going to have a wonderful item, I would say that just maybe 19th Century  ;D 

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:14:03 pm »
Ok, so I just got this jug today. Took a bit to get here from England. I am in awe and love this little thing. Except...

The lion heads feel like plastic. The jug is definitely hand made and hand hammered, and all the reading I have been doing suggests it's really old. If it's a reproduction, someone took an awful lot of time to hand make this. Then again, many people overseas can do that. I am very confused about the lion heads though. I read that plastics and celluloid date back to the 1850's and were used for many different decorations and items. But these lions were definitely hand-hammered in and hammered on the inside to keep them secure. If these were flimsy plastic, wouldn't they break or crack from all that hammer pounding? They also have a very authentic looking patina, it doesn't look like any kind of paint or anything. Plastic can't get a patina, I don't think...

The lion heads are also not both exactly the same, they have slightly different markings. To me, if they were some kind of repro, they would be exactly the same. Because the mold would be the same. Are there any metals at all that people commonly mistake for plastic? Some sort of cheap metal they used maybe? They are pretty cool to the touch. Not room temperature like the other plastics I am touching around me. This is very confusing. I was so excited until I tapped on those lion heads. I am really hoping that just because they feel like plastic, this doesn't mean they are new plastic. I really think this is very old, I can feel it when I hold it. The copper on the inside bottom is very worn down, and it gradually gets better as you get closer to the top. Which suggests long use to me. Pretty hard to fake the way the inside looks. However, it is strange that there are no maker's marks. At least not any I can see. Any ideas? Fake or real? Oh, and what about those scrape marks on the sides of the heads? Is that more likely to be from a hand tool or a mold or something?

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:31:10 pm »
It might be a reproduction but even if it is it's a nice piece. I don't think you could buy something like that in a store over here for what you paid for it, including shipping.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:42:22 pm »
Well, I handed it over to my husband and he said, "That's not plastic, that's pot metal." That's why it feels kind of cold and "cheap." I guess I got my answer and I looked it up. Maybe it really is old! Maybe I should ask him antique stuff more often, even though he's not that into them. ;)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 05:54:21 am »
Are the Lion's heads soldered on the pail or are the 2 rivets holding them on.

Anyway, they look to me to be "cast brass".

I really don't think that thin plastic or pot metal would hold up very long at supporting the wire handle.

Tale a sharp tool and scratch somewhere on one of them to see if it "shines" brassy like.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 08:59:35 am »
The two rivets are just holdin' them on, they aren't soldered on. There's a tiny space that a piece of paper could fit into. Except where the rivets are.
I did the scratch test on the lions like cogar and a few websites suggested. It's a bright brass color underneath, not silver like the websites said pot metal would be. I guess they really are brass, they just seem so fragile. Like if I were to put any type of pressure on them they would snap off like a toothpick. I am terrible at identifying different metals. I guess this little pot just helps me on my road to learning about metals and identifying them. Newbies gotta learn somehow!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:01:06 am by hosman321 »

Vrillon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 05:28:03 pm »
Just curious how they could claim 19th century if there are no valid markings or history behind it!

Very nice piece tho'.

I am betting early 1900's myself!

I think the Lions heads are the indication of it being from 19th century, I dont recall much anything produced with lions heads from England after 1900.

But it could very well be 1800s-1920s.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 11:54:17 pm »
Hi Vrillon, would a piece from that time period be more likely to have the lions soldered on?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Vrillon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 12:39:59 am »
Hi Vrillon, would a piece from that time period be more likely to have the lions soldered on?

not sure, I am no expert on Jugs and Bottles and Kettles like that, but dealing with some things out of England from the 19th Century, just about anything you found had a Lions head on it of some sort, and it seemed to of started disappearing from everything after about 1910, thats not to say it fully vanished though.

No idea if the lions head were soldered on though. although the style of the handle of that jug kind of reminds me of something that may of come out of the 1860s or 1870s.

from looking at the lions, they might be riveted in there some how, not sure, the green color is obviously copper tarnishing from possibly where moisture got trapped underneath the lions heads which is not completely melted into the copper, I would guess the Lions heads are not copper and could be a bronze or something.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:45:41 am by Vrillon »