Author Topic: Antique Key?  (Read 6837 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Antique Key?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 06:37:08 pm »
OOPS, you posted while I was writing a reply.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 06:44:00 pm »
I am attaching a photo that contains 3 lid lifters that were more common in homes and another one that is pretty basic. 

Still think it is the latch key....but what do I know!

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/charmingandcheap/item/8608

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/charmingandcheap/iteml/8608#pic1
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 06:46:55 pm »
Makes sense. I know some of the Chinese locks operate in more or less the same way. They are fascinating! I have a funny iron custom lock like that in an old low cupboard, but it isn't nearly so large. But as you say, it might have to be for a big thick door! Can you imagine hauling it around? Maybe it would be hung on a nail somewhere and was for an outbuilding rather than a home?

Sorry I didn't catch the size in the first post it is easy to miss thing siometimes when I'm using my BlackBerry!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 04:43:20 am »
Did anyone see that Pawn Star show where someone brought in a wood “strongbox”, circa 1800 something and which was about 30” wide, about 20” deep and about 18” high, with a 3” high hinged lid and a keyhole in the front. It looked like a small square “steamer trunk” but with metal strapping and medallions bolted all around, over and under it to make it safe and secure. The owner had the key for it but he said he couldn’t get the key to work so no one knew what was inside it.

So, the Pawn Star host called in his “expert” on such items and the first thing he did was look it all over and then affirm, “Yes”, it was indeed an original “strongbox” and in excellent condition. The next thing he did was turn the “strongbox” around to the back or hinged side, got hold of one of those metal medallions on the lid edge, twisted it sideways to expose another keyhole, inserted the key and with a good bit of pressure, turned it and then lifted the lid open.   

The locking mechanism was on the underneath or bottom of the lid and consisted of levers that moved three (3) dowel pins back n’ forth (1 on the front and 1 on either side) into and out of three (3) matching holes in the front and sides of the box.

Anyway, that should give you an idea as to how those above referenced door “keys” may have worked.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 09:56:50 am »
Cogar, it's all your fault. Now I'm hooked on Pawn Stars! I went and found that chest episode, that thing was amazing. I'd love to have something like that. I've watched almost all the episodes, I'm still up at 8am. I better get back to it!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 10:17:56 pm »
SO.........WHAT WAS INSIDE?????????????????? 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 10:40:21 pm »
LOL, I thought the same, was kind of a story with the sequel still to come Next week, Same Antique channel, Same Antique Time  :D.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 12:14:38 am »
There was nothing inside the trunk, which was disappointing for them. But it was still a real medieval treasure chest, so it was still cool. Can you imagine if that thing still had stuff inside?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 06:42:13 am »
Hosman, you will hafta blame Tales for that, I believe she was the one that 1st mentioned Pawn Stars on here ....... and thus got me to watching it. ;D ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 09:58:32 am »
Okay give, what is Pawn Stars?  TV show? 

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 10:10:06 am »
Yeah, tv show on the history channel.

waywardangler

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 11:12:27 am »
Pawn Stars is good but wendy177 has posted on the Antique Talk forum about a new show called American Pickers on the History channel.  I watched all the online video because I missed the first show Monday night.  I think it will interest the majority of users on this site just like Pawn Stars.  I have to enunciate when I tell my wife I am watching Pawn Stars so it dosen't sound like something else.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 06:45:37 pm »
LOL!  Thanks Wayward!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 11:43:05 pm »
Yup Wayward, I bet you really have to explain Pawn Stars to Mrs. Wayward when the expletives start coming from the next room-

OH... OH YES!!! YES!! I  want that SO BAD!!! That's right, show me the back side.... awww baby!!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 11:45:44 pm »
Funny , wawardang.

Let's put the key in the lock !