Author Topic: HELP Mystery Large French Stoneware thingy with a tap on the bottom!?  (Read 6184 times)

jf935298

• View Profile
Hi there.

This is a bit of a tricky one. Ive searched and searched to try and identify exacly what this is. It was labelled up as a "salt glazed water feature" at an auction, but he later said he'd just guessed what it was? I bought it out of curiousity, as the plan was to simply use it as a novelty rainwater collector! but as Im unsure of exactly what it is I thought Id try and find out before I relegated it to the garden!

I believe its french in its origin. It's definatley used for liquids due to the tap on the bottom. Inside there were two sloping panels that met in the middle to allow some liquid to pass (one is missing)

Does anyone have a clue, or can point me in the direction of where I can find out what it is? Ive looked at antique water filters, boilers etc...but Im hitting a bit of a wall.

Id really appreciate any help anyone is able to help me find out what my latest impulse buy used to be!

Thanks everyone

Mike

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: HELP Mystery Large French Stoneware thingy with a tap on the bottom!?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:55:18 am »
Rain water collector would have been my guess (only makes sense  ;))  But if it's French in origin, possibly something connected to wine making??

jf935298

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 09:35:46 am »
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I thought rainwater when I saw it (and is why I bought it) But it looks like its had some kind of top on it at some point and it looks a little elaborate for just rain. Im sure the French bods would have just used a bucket ;)

Also if you look at the bottom picture it 'looks' like theres some kind of breather hole running up the top left corner? Is it some kind of booze fermenting thingy? Ive no idea!! I can speculate forever, but Id love to hear if someone definately knows what it is?

The auction was of items from a local salvage/antique shop that went under, so thats a closed door!

Cheers

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 10:33:53 am »
Cool & odd item , jf935298 .

Although it does kinda look like a rainwater cistern/dispenser ....

I'm wondering if your item is made of terracotta , and if there are any traces of beeswax in/on it .

Perhaps it is a grape fermenter (wine) ....
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

jf935298

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 10:58:58 am »
Hi, thanks for your reply.

yes it is both odd & cool. It does look a bit cisterny...if it wasnt for the decorated tap you'd swear it belonged over a loo!

I dont think its terracotta. Its 'very' heavy. I can barely pick it up on my own. I popped out to look at a chipped corner on the underside to see. It 'looks' like a clayish/stoneware salt glazed jobby....but Im no expert.

Heres a pic for clarification if it helps anyone help me find out what it is?

thanks again!

Mike

jf935298

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 11:01:26 am »
....oh, and I cant find any beeswax ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 11:10:53 am »
Can you take a better pic straight down into the "urn".  Does it look like the piece was "poured" all at once or the bottom was added?

My first impulse was that it reminded me of a terra cotta chimney flu - which would match handsomely with with the rainwater collector - seems a French flair to it!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jf935298

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 11:23:05 am »
Hi,

Its been fired as all one piece. Its a fair ol chunk. It stands about a metre high!
Ill take a better pic of the inside tomorrow when its a bit lighter outside if it helps anyone.

Thanks again,

Mike

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:51:31 pm »
I'm going to add a 'perhaps' here on this one .

Maybe this was a water dispenser , in a kitchen .

Of course , it would have had to sat on something quite substantial , if it was used above floor height ; it'd be most convenient is if was off the floor (in an alcove , etc.) .

If this item was this , perhaps the baffles inside of it would have prevented some 'sloshing around' of the water , when being filled via bucket(s) 'blindly' overhead & would have kept the worker from being doused .

This guess also assumes that there was not indoor running water , at the location where it was used (prob. had to huck it up from a well) .

Another possible here is that the small 'vent' inside of this item was a spot for a dowel-ish thingie (for a water gauge) .... perhaps could also be used as a siphon , in the event of a hand-valve clog , or to remove excess sediment .....

The image posted does seem to indicate that different liquid levels left their marks on it's interior .
It also seems too nice to be sitting out-of-doors .
Looks like this puppy is tough enough to handle hot water too ...

Fecal matter in rivers & streams was a concern for folks in-the-know , when it came to drinking water ... not so much of a concern (way back then) for washing & so forth .

Then again , this may simply be a predecessor of an item like the modern one in the image below .
Talk about your wine-in-a-box !

That's my penny guess , so far .
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:10:59 pm by regularjoe2 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 10:30:57 pm »
regjoe2....makes me wonder if the little hole had a item I have seen in the past for a large urn like this....
Had a pole-like "measuring" stick---it would "float" up and down with the level of the liquid inside...so that an urn kept in a higher position could reflect the level inside without totally running out or having to climb up/open the lid and look inside to see how much more was inside.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 11:59:18 pm »
Yep , KC .... thinking along the same lines .

jf935298

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 03:46:41 am »
OK, heres a couple more pics of the inner bits as requested.

On having a good nosey at the inside where the opposite 45 degree panel was (which can be seen by where it joined the side) When it was in place it sealed the bottom section off completely with absolutely no channel for any liquid to pass. However, the panels that remain look to be porous. Which leads me to think that whatever liquid was put in filtered through the solid sloping panels and ran to the join where it then filtered down a vertical panel of the same material (Which can be seen on the pics below) The fact that the bottom was sealed may explain why theres a breather hole to the bottom section.

So, Do you think it could be an early brita ;) Was it an early French water filter? Ive searched and cant find anything apart from some elaborate patented jobbies. Anyone know any experts on early French water filters that can tell me Ive got it wrong or right? lol Or have any old French country relatives?

What do you guys think? Have a gander. Cheers Mike.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 07:41:44 am »
Could this be a 'newer' version?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-english-salt-glaze-stoneware-water-filter

Notice in the third pic, what appears to be that hole/tube similar to yours, but running down the outside.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 08:14:15 am »
Still believe it is for water/rainwater.  Any debris/pollution would be stopped by the "filter" and clear water would go on through.

Where do you live out of curiosity - Country/State?

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 10:01:49 am »
I'm (mostly) on the water train with this item too .

Here's an image of another Victorian water filter , from petworthantiquecert re.co.uk .