Author Topic: HELP Mystery Large French Stoneware thingy with a tap on the bottom!?  (Read 6183 times)

jf935298

• View Profile
Re: HELP Mystery Large French Stoneware thingy with a tap on the bottom!?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 10:10:56 am »
Could this be a 'newer' version?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-english-salt-glaze-stoneware-water-filter

Notice in the third pic, what appears to be that hole/tube similar to yours, but running down the outside.

Not sure if you have to be a member on that site, but I can only see one picture? lol Sounded interesting too! Ive browsed lots of the UK patented water filters, but havent found anything that remotely looks like the thingy I have. They all seem to be round with elaborate embossed features. Maybe the French preferred a more functional affair! (If it is a water filter!) Can you post the pic you saw here? Thanks for your help in trying to ID what it is!

Still believe it is for water/rainwater.  Any debris/pollution would be stopped by the "filter" and clear water would go on through.

Where do you live out of curiosity - Country/State?

yes Im leaning towards that too. But Id love to find a record of another that works the same way to clarify. Id love to get an age on it! To answer your question I live in the UK - North Staffordshire. This was part of an auction lot of French Antiques which also contained a deco hanging ball shade and 6 Ornate Iron Coat Hooks fitted to Oak....and a wicker chair!? But Its this water thingy that really has the ol grey matter turning!

Thanks to everyone that is trying to help. If anyone has any ideas/info or has seen anything similar Id love to hear from you.

Mike

jf935298

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 10:19:22 am »
I'm (mostly) on the water train with this item too .

Here's an image of another Victorian water filter , from petworthantiquecert re.co.uk .

Hi, Yes..mostly but I always have a niggle. I found a chappy called Juan Carlos Garling who seems to have collected a load of pictures of worldwide antique water filters together here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/juangarling/sets/72157603826560854/ Ive tried to contact him but I think the only email listed for him is bouncing. None of the pictures looks like the one I have, but maybe he hasnt seen a French one yet? (again...if it is one!) But I was hopeful he could have a nosey at the pics I had of the inside of my mystery object and tell me if it works/looks like an early water filter? But other than that Im struggling!!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 05:01:14 pm »
Could this be a 'newer' version?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-english-salt-glaze-stoneware-water-filter

Notice in the third pic, what appears to be that hole/tube similar to yours, but running down the outside.

Not sure if you have to be a member on that site, but I can only see one picture? lol Sounded interesting too! Ive browsed lots of the UK patented water filters, but havent found anything that remotely looks like the thingy I have. They all seem to be round with elaborate embossed features. Maybe the French preferred a more functional affair! (If it is a water filter!) Can you post the pic you saw here? Thanks for your help in trying to ID what it is!

Just click the Enlarge, under the pic.  When it comes up on the screen, with the blacked out background.....run your cursor over the pic from side to side, around the middle....you'll see the words "previous" and "next" come up  ;)

Won't let me grab copies  :D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 06:12:31 pm »
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/collections/exhibits/ceramics/  midway down

The names that keep popping up in articles are Doulton (on the Thames), British Berkfield and a few others that tout that they all started in the 1800's with gravity fed water filters for river and rain water.  Another reason for the slanted insides would have been to hold charcoal up/away from the drinkable water in the bottom.  However, pottery/ceramic is touted to remove 99.8% of impurities.  They became extremely popular after the cholera outbreak in the 1800's.  http://www.doultonfilters.com/history.htm

For France the name that keeps popping up is Louis Pasteur

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 07:35:45 pm »
Not trying to jump ship on this one , I've found many refs to 'filter stones' for Victorian era water filters , but nothing definitive of yours .
My guess would be leaning towards , maybe , diatomaceous earth - as far as the filter mat'l .... no solid evidence for this yet , though .

These guys seem really interested in liquid containers , and are closer to your neck-o-the-woods , jf935298 ( they do seem willing to reply to inquiries ) - http://oabcc.spaces.live.com/PersonalSpace.aspx

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 09:41:53 am »
Just a thought- Could the square shape indicate it may have been one of several in a group- Like it would have been in use in a hotel or restaurant? Does the base look grooved like it would have been fitted to another below it?

I grew up by Alum Rock Park in San Jose, CA which has mineral springs and was a "health spa" of sorts back in the Victorian era, when they used to believe that mineral waters had healthful and curative properties. Even as late as the 1970's when I was riding my horse there, I will never forget a conversation with a very elderly man who kissed the nose of my horse and hugged her. His son had brought him there to collect the mineral water because his father still believed it would cure the ills of old age. I wonder if something like this may have been used for mineral water, although I don't see any signs of deposits I would expect to see with heavily mineral-laden waters. "Curative" waters were big business back in the Victorian era.

Also in San Jose on the southern end of town we also have a "miraculous" spring in what is now the Santa Teresa area. This spring was the water source for the Native Americans living in the area, who had a legend surrounding it that a woman appeared and blessed the spring curing the tribe of an affliction (we now suspect they were sickened by body paint). When the Bernal family took over the lands, being devout Catholics, they attributed the Native legend to Santa Teresa. (They kind of ignored the fact that the legend pre-dated Sta. Teresa by several hundred years!) The Bernals would hold mass at the spring, it had blessings by the Pope and the bottles of miraculous curative water sold like hotcakes... 'specially to the folks that would come to the ranch to watch bull and bear fights! *shudder!*

But to make a long story short, there was a lot of money in health water and I wonder if your filter system was used on a larger scale for an estate, restaurant, spa or ?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 03:46:21 pm »
I'm betting it was for a commercial establishment or in those days a city offering such as a fine park or city building.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!