Author Topic: Griswold Cast Iron  (Read 6759 times)

brewerj7

• View Profile
    • Peculiar Possessions
Griswold Cast Iron
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:19:21 am »
I don't know if there are any cast iron experts on here, but I have a Griswold skillet that I have a question about. 

As you can see, the mark still looks fairly nice on this piece.  There is a little wear on the "I" in ERIE.  Does anyone know what effect this would have on the value?

waywardangler

Re: Griswold Cast Iron
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:44:20 am »
1874-1905    SPIDER & WEB  This emblem of a spider in a web seems to be limited to the #8 “ERIE” skillet and the size #7, 8 or 9  “Erie” teapots.  On the skillet bottom, following the curve of the skillet, is the large lettering “ERIE”.  Additionally, in the center of the skillet bottom is a spider web, with a spider whose body is made of a skillet with the word ERIE inside it.  The big “ERIE” is frequently in better condition than the spider logo because “ERIE” was incised while the spider logo was raised and so came in direct contact with the surface of the stove, causing wear on it from the frequent movement across the stove.  It is difficult to find one of these skillets with the spider logo in excellent condition. Nevertheless, any of the spider logos, both good and just decent, are in big demand.

One in excellent condition sold on eBay the end of Dec. for $1500.  That was the winning bid.  Other bids were grouped in the $600-900 range.  It is odd the "I" in ERIE is worn because that lettering is incised.  Is the "I" pitted?  Any hairline cracks anywhere?  I am not an expert on cast iron but I would expect your skillet to be in the $600-900 range unless you can find 2 bidders to duke it out for top dollar.  A scarce old Griswold skillet by any means.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 11:53:22 am »
That's one cool makers mark.
How could a skillet be any better than this?
NICE

brewerj7

• View Profile
    • Peculiar Possessions
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:58:01 pm »
I think there is just the slightest pit in the "I".  Otherwise the skillet is perfect.  No cracks anywhere.  It is interesting how the spider mark is in such good shape since it is raised.  Thanks for the information on the last eBay sales.  I sometimes forget that eBay basically sets the price.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 10:37:47 pm »
Can you please post a pic of the "cooking" side?

The following site has a forum for griswold items exclusively.  They even have members that help id authentic and repro items as well as give values for them.  You might want to try it...think you will find it worth while.  Love this site. They even keep up with sellers on the internet who sell repros/fakes and list them on the site!  How cool!

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:46:45 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

brewerj7

• View Profile
    • Peculiar Possessions
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 02:36:54 pm »
Here's a pic of the cooking surface.  As you can see, its still pretty nice.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 11:20:10 pm »
Wow that is about as cool as a skillet can get IMHO!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

jdt48653

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 12:02:57 pm »
wow,nice i will have to check my hoard of castiron,i know i have a lot with the griswold name,also some from austraila,their name slips my mind.i use one about that size to cook on now.