Author Topic: newcomb college  (Read 6284 times)

stumar

• View Profile
newcomb college
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:16:56 am »
this is a planter that was made some time ago by newcomb college i know this because of the stamp that i verified, also by the puchase receipt stuffed inside. this belonged to my mother this as well as many others she haves. i just dont know where one would go to have it appraised. im 38 years of age and i know this is older than me. someone please help me identify this so i know roughly what its worth thanks.

cogar

• View Profile

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: newcomb college
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 07:22:16 am »
This would not be at all typical of Newcomb College, it 's not pottery. it's english in design.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:40:03 am »
Can you post a picture of the bottom mark(s).  My first reaction was with D&B.  That's not typical of Newcomb College.  I hesitated to say anything because that's not my area of interest or semi-expertise.

stumar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:56:19 am »
the stamp dosent show up very well cause the bottom of the planter is all white, and i took it with my cell phone, remember i also have th original purchase receipt  stating indeed its newcomb college. this is what the stamp looks like.its the very first stamp on the list.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 11:03:02 am »
I have the book on Newcomb college pottery nothing like this listed. it's not impossible it ''Belonged'' to the college. where as a gift letter auction record etc would be needed to verify it's provenance.

stumar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 11:13:18 am »
yeah im stumped on this, you guys must have a lot of patience for antiques ive been on this for 2 days and im going crazy  lol. but interesting none the less lol.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 11:18:11 am »
Heres where things get sticky. the book mentions the fact all artist records were not kept. it is possible this was done sometime after 1920.

stumar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 11:30:53 am »
i was reading an article where they would pay women to come up with designs and art work, for the artist. the antique store where it was purchased from is local but is no longer in business., go figure.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 11:41:21 am »
There is some quality, detail in the Cherub. one of our Colleagues was mentioning possible appraiser certification. this is one of the head aches you could expect to incounter.

At a charge of $75.00 to & $125.00 + Dollars and hour. and if the appraisal turns out to be in correct. you could be faceing a law suit.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:23:07 pm »
Well this just proves.even old people can learn some thing new. that trade mark was used from. circa 1894 to 1899. it is Newcomb College.

waywardangler

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 02:10:24 pm »
"Newcomb administrators set Morris-like standards: the pots were to be well-designed, one of a kind, hand-thrown and hand-decorated utilitarian pieces. Decoration was to be inspired by Louisiana flora and fauna. Local clays dugs north of Lake Pontchartrain were used (although suitable clay for throwing required the addition of various materials from Alabama, South Carolina, New Jersey, Kentucky and Indiana). Before Newcomb pottery was offered to the public for sale, its quality had to pass a rigorous assessment by a four-person faculty jury. If a piece did not meet criteria of the committee, the College’s impressed cipher of an "N" within a "C" was ground off the bottom of the pot with an abrasive wheel."

The above is from http://lsm.crt.state.la.us/newcomb/newcomb1.htm and has a history of Newcomb and examples of their wares.  There is no pottery from Newcomb that looks like the cherub example.  If it was made in the early years (say 1895) by a student, it is possible but it is not the pottery Newcomb is noted for. The Newcomb arts & crafts style pottery is the desired and valued pieces.  I think this would need to be inspected by a person well versed in Newcomb pottery.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 02:13:56 pm »
Amen I Agree. I would suggest Rago's pottery Auction.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 02:16:19 pm »
I am just now jumping on to this post and I have to agree...this isn't anything like Newcomb College pottery that I have seen.

Like D&b stated the quality/detail of the Cherub is good.

I would have to agree that a true/experienced appraisal would be needed.  There are lots of knock-offs out there due to the value of the NC pieces.

By-the-way...great info sites cogar and wayward.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

stumar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 10:06:11 am »
well thanks for the help from all of you. my mother has a huge collection of norman rockwell figurines, planters,and furniture.everythin g she owns was handed down from her parents and great grand parents,needless to say she's a little behind on the times,buts thats ok, these things made her happy,as im sure as your parents.this particular piece was bought well before my time and im 38 so i guess it was already an antique when it was purchased.anyways im a steel worker so my heavy hands shouldnt be on it anyways i can break it just looking at it lol.i'll just put it back with the rest. im by no means hurting financially,it would just be nice to know a little history on some of these.i could never part with these and likely to say my children,and grand children will be doing the same thing im trying to do.guess thats why they call em antiques huh.