Author Topic: century by salem dinnerware set  (Read 8558 times)

scottbu70

• View Profile
century by salem dinnerware set
« on: February 05, 2010, 06:42:13 pm »
i have this set of dishes i was told that my grandmother got them at a movie theatre in the late 50's? they are century by salem warranted 23 karat gold..they are white with blue band and gold.. they are 4 of everything in the picture...6" bowl, 5" bowl, 9" plate, 1- 10" plate with handles on the side, 7" plate, 6 1/2" plate,6" tea cup saucer, and 1 6 1/2" relish tray/bowl....thanks for everyones help!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:44:51 pm by scottbu70 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: century by salem dinnerware set
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:39:40 pm »
Century was a brand of China made by the Salem company.

I would recommend that you look through the patterns at Replacements LTD and see if your pattern is there.
http://www.replacements.com/china/SLM.htm
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:51:31 pm »
     I did find the mark in a book, it says this mark was used from 1940 to present.  It is possible it was aquired at a movie theater.  It started in the 1920's when the method of making glass got really cheap.  Depression Glass started this way.  It was offered at movie theaters, in Soap Boxes and many different ways.  This was a popular thing into the 60's,  I remember mom in the 60's getting free plates and etc, for buying x amount at sears.  This was of course to get you to come back.  It was said if you went to the same movie house enough times you could collect a whole of set Dishes.   
     I also check out replacements as suggested by KC, I did not see your pattern called "Century" Listed.  But with the name, and pattern name, with a bit of surfing around you will find the date and value of your items.  They are wonderful looking and would be in my Fancy catagory, espically the Blue and Gold of your set.  I think these could prove to have a good moderate value to them.  Thanks for sharing they are wonderful. 

scottbu70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:00:52 pm »
     I did find the mark in a book, it says this mark was used from 1940 to present.  It is possible it was aquired at a movie theater.  It started in the 1920's when the method of making glass got really cheap.  Depression Glass started this way.  It was offered at movie theaters, in Soap Boxes and many different ways.  This was a popular thing into the 60's,  I remember mom in the 60's getting free plates and etc, for buying x amount at sears.  This was of course to get you to come back.  It was said if you went to the same movie house enough times you could collect a whole of set Dishes.   
     I also check out replacements as suggested by KC, I did not see your pattern called "Century" Listed.  But with the name, and pattern name, with a bit of surfing around you will find the date and value of your items.  They are wonderful looking and would be in my Fancy catagory, espically the Blue and Gold of your set.  I think these could prove to have a good moderate value to them.  Thanks for sharing they are wonderful. 

thanks so much for the info...its interesting to find out about these items..

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:29:34 pm »
Ironlord, the pattern isn't Century - there will be a number.

Century is a line of china with many versions - by Salem.

Here are some examples:
http://www.cyberattic.com/stores/malon/items/208772/item208772.html
http://pottery-glass.shop.ebay.com/Salem-/18909/i.html?_nkw=century&_pcats=24%2C18875%2C870

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 09:39:25 pm »
Good Point KC Thanks.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 01:30:33 am »
You're mighty welcome!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 02:43:56 am »
I'm impressed by how much knowledge of glass is on this forum.Great info guys.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 05:51:07 am »
I believe this would be yours in maroon/red. Pattern name SLM12

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/SLMSLM12.htm

Heading out to work so couldn't finish searching their list.  ;)