Author Topic: charcoal/pencil drawing no idea who or whom  (Read 5338 times)

jdt48653

• View Profile
charcoal/pencil drawing no idea who or whom
« on: February 08, 2010, 01:34:54 pm »
my wife aquired this in the late 60`s .it was hidden behind another painting,the kids ruined the painting but this was spared.have no idea who the painting is nor the artist.old 2 piece frame.
my reflection is on the face of the drawing.   the artists sig.has faded away.
the only writing on the back is  the name  elene,and the #s 702,889,87-these are writing in pencil.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:41:02 pm by jdt48653 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: charcoal/pencil drawing no idea who or whom
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 02:58:58 pm »
VERY beautiful! Looks like a talented artist. Try photographing the faded signature as best you can, then if you can use Photoshop (I can help with that if you don't) sometimes you can bring out faded writing in a photo. Try it with and without a flash. I'm glad the kids didn't get to this one! I wonder who she was. It is interesting that she has such a stern face, but the artist rendered her in a very soft style. It is really an interesting portrait to study!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 03:06:16 pm »
Great advice Talesof!  Agree is some fine work.  Most probably by some unknown artist/individual....but worth a try to figure out the mystery!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 04:16:58 pm »
Dress is edwardian in style. but the hair style is not typical for our american time frame.

jdt48653

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 05:58:38 pm »
thank you`all for input,i will try photoshop,and try using a flash and maybe super macro.
thanks totsseas.and check out edward as in king edward era.thanks D&B antiques &KC. :-*
talesofthesevenseas,this is all i have to work with.can you make out anything with your photoshop.
thanks for your input.joe.t.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 01:53:34 pm by jdt48653 »

jdt48653

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 03:51:59 pm »
not much to work with as far as signiture.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 04:50:39 pm »
I can't make out a thing. Anyone else with better eyes? This artist might have to remain a mystery!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:47:53 pm »
     Just some pointers that may help bring out the signature.  Too much light will wash out the details.  Natural light is best, but not too direct.  You will also need a tripod and a manual setting on your camera.  Set the f stop to largest number, this will make it impossible to hand hold and use the timer or a shutter release, so as to not move the camera.  Long Exposure with large depth of field, and just a touch of natural light.  I'm from the old school days of photography before auto exposure and focas, these functions will only generalize the exposure.  Hope this will help, Any questions you may have just feel free to ask.

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 10:20:56 pm »
I was startled to see your painting.  My father had a picture of his Mother on his dresser for years, and she had on the same type of dress as does the subject in your painting.  My Grandmother died in 1911, and obviously her picture had to have been painted/taken prior to 1911.  It was done when she was full grown, and my guess is that my Grandfather had her picture painted/taken some years before she first became ill.  So my guess would be right around the turn of the 20th century +- a few years. 

Probably doesn't help you very much, but it was actually startling to see your picture as the dress could have been a duplicate of the one worn my my Grandmother.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 09:02:12 pm »
Wow...wouldn't it be wild if you and ChineseAF were related?

Ironlord....might want to post your information on the How to Post A Pic section at the beginning notes of the forum to be easier access for newbies and oldies with fading memories.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:32:35 am »
Those "charcoal" portraits were quite "the rage" circa 1900+-.

One could send a photograph of the person(s) and the artist would then draw the portrait from the photograph.

The wife has two (2) such portraits of her relatives done in charcoal and a picture of another relative's portrait that was colored with probably "colored chalk" after it was drawn. She also has copies of two (2) of the original photographs that were used by the artist to create the portrait.   

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 07:40:19 am »
Cogar were there wearing the same dress?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 07:56:35 am »
No, but their dresses were all with "high collars" and with "puffy sholders". which was in style in that era.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 08:19:41 am »
I will second that. edwardian time frame ran from circa 1850 to 1910 got to love those cut off dates. I will take a look later at some of the old sears & roebuck catalog's. would'nt be surprised to find that style.

jdt48653

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 12:24:16 pm »
thank you folks for all your help. joe.t.