Author Topic: Bronze bell with sacred names of the Bible.  (Read 3263 times)

Murena

• View Profile
Bronze bell with sacred names of the Bible.
« on: February 09, 2010, 04:39:42 pm »
What can be age of this bell? The bell ring is very fine.

Dimension: bottom diameter is 4.8 inch; full height 5.0 inch.   

Thanks.

Old61

• View Profile

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Bronze bell with sacred names of the Bible.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:06:37 pm »
     As I see the bell, through the eyes of a observer, not a expert that is.  First I assume it has no marker marks of any kind.  It does have the machine mass produced import look.  Espically around the Loop, and the on the ringer.  So in response to the question of age, this can be very hard to determine.  Brass bell in general are still produced, Exported and collected, They make a great hippy gift  ;D.  One clue to possible age is the green copper corrision on the base of the loop.  Now for my guess of age would be 60's or 70's in age. 
    If you wish to establish value on your item, brass bells go for $.00 to around  low $$.00 in value.  With out having history information you can only base it on it unique looks.   In this case your has the Looks  :o.  This is for sure unique in my rookie eyes, and with this in mind and the right enviroment you can maybe push the $$.00 a bit.  All in All you have a wonderful looking bell, Thanks for posting and Welcome to Forum.  I'm sure ww all look forward to you next post.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:54:38 pm »
Although it's not in my hands , the tool marks on the clapper strongly suggest that they were made by a rotary die-grinder (a small one too) , indicating modern manufacture , on at least the clapper element .

Perhaps sold in Europe , as a part of a door-bell/garden-gate bell assembly ? .... seems to be a bit fancy for a cow-bell , but have seen fancy ones ....

Just guessin' here .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:41:19 am »
seems to be a bit fancy for a cow-bell , but have seen fancy ones ....

Have you ever seen any of the Swiss made ones, they made some really nice animal bells. I once seen a matched set from oxen size down to baby goat size or whatever. I believe there were 7 bells in the set. And a lot fancier than this one, to wit:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-SWISS-COW-BELL_W0QQitemZ220544803922QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100123?IMSfp=TL100123238002r3499

Murena

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:26:25 am »
I thank all for friendly relation to the beginner at the forum.

I have found the description of bells in an internet (it is a pity that is not present already a photo). In accordance with description my probably will be as the Evangelist Bell :

http://www.americanbell.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=435

The similar bell in internet:

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,belgian-bronze-bell,1942206.html

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 09:33:36 pm »
You betcha , cogar ... was thinkin of those Swiss bells !

Sound like the evangelic answer rang bells , Murena !