Author Topic: Carriage Step or is it just a Footstool?  (Read 2229 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Carriage Step or is it just a Footstool?
« on: February 14, 2010, 07:15:10 pm »
This is up for sale and I'm kinda interested. It is being sold as a cast iron carriage step. Apparently the type that required a footman to set it out for the lady to step on! I'm wondering if you feel this is an accurate description of this item or if it is actually just a cast iron footstool? I saw something similar in a train museum used by passengers to climb into sleeping compartments on trains. This one looks suspiciously like an awful lot of Victorian era cast iron footstools to me.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:19:41 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Carriage Step or is it just a Footstool?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 07:26:14 pm »
It looks to me like a french style foot stool.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 07:30:39 pm »
Yeah that is kinda what I suspected. Looking for something similar online I couldn't find much in the 19th century for comparison. I think by that point the little built in carriage steps had replaced the need for footmen, unless you were royalty. I suspect it would have to be from an earlier era to actually be a carriage step. Thanks!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 07:38:52 pm »
Whats the asking Price?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 09:39:10 pm »
I agree with D&b about the French stool.

I saw the post on Craigs List for $125.

I would ask the seller for a picture with marks on it if any are available to try and establish authenticity.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 09:51:46 pm »
Nah, I think I'm going to pass on it. I was kind of intrigued with the idea of a carriage step but it really looks like the seller was basing this description on the wheel design more than anything factual. From everything I found it looks like a step of this kind would really have to be from a much earlier era or it would be quite rare. I also doubt that you would have what looks to be a needlework top on a step intended for outdoor use. It would be ruined in no time with the mud.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:09:39 am »
Honestly it's worth the $125.00 Dollars. but I would'nt want to pay $50.00 Dollars. ;D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 11:08:32 am »
LOL me either!

I should explain a bit here- The person who needs a footstool is my cat. At age eighteen it is becoming a little more difficult for her to climb up into my Chinese bed. I do have a matching fabric covered footstool for her now which works just fine. I just thought it would be fun if there was an antique one that had some interesting history behind it. This one wouldn't match the bed anyway I was just speculating more than anything else and thought the whole idea of a carriage step idea was kind of neat.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:15:32 am by talesofthesevenseas »