Author Topic: Early 19th century casket box? Hm...  (Read 4592 times)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Early 19th century casket box? Hm...
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:22:07 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260552110819&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_6338wt_1165

Wonderful piece, but authentic? If you read the item description the seller is very grammatically incorrect and his spelling is pretty bad. In addition, I don't think Sothebys/Christies would be actively wanting the box. If authentic, I'd say it is a 4k box, but I'm not so sure from the pictures. What do you all think? D&b?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Early 19th century casket box? Hm...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:38:15 pm »
I think he's being ridiculos. if it were worth that kind of money. he would have sold it at auction. even with there high fee's he would have made money.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 03:54:25 pm »
It might be authentic. Interesting he would list it with no reserve. D&B is right. He should have sold it before. Something doesn't sound right. It will be interesting to see what the high bid is. 6 days.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 04:00:08 pm »
Exactly why I posted it here :) Something seems fishy... If authentic I do think the box is pretty valuable, but why on earth would he sell it on eBay!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:51:38 pm »
Spendthrift that I am , I wouldn't drop a $20.00 bid until I got a series of high-res images from the seller .

Fit & wear on the item seem off a bit (opinion from one viewing of a so-so image) .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:23:45 pm »
Most of the seller's feedback is positive, considering the amount of stuff he/she has sold. Three negatives and two neutrals in 12 months, which isn't too bad. If the responses are to be believed, it appears that refunds were given. It looks like this seller has no trouble getting bidders going with the low starting bids. He/she may have kind of a regular following.

I too am always leery of bad spelling, especially when there doesn't seem to be a genuine language barrier. It just seems sloppy and unconcerned, when a seller should be doing their best to make an impression, especially with high-dollar items.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:58:31 pm »
Couldn't agree more with you guys. I've already asked for better images and the spelling/grammar makes me wary. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 10:54:27 pm »
If Christies and Sotheby's appraised it at that much....they would still be interested, especially in this market!  (At least in my opinion!)
Are appraisals provided?

For those that do not know....ormolu is a variety of brass made to resemble gold ( uses less zinc and more copper in the composition than ordinary brass). The golden color is generally magnified by lacquer of use of acids: aka mosaic gold.   A casket box  in this instance is an ornate box for holding jewelry/jewels - not bodies!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:01:15 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 12:42:25 am »
Sorry, I mean I doubt that would be actively seeking out this guy to auction his pieces. Generally, especially in this market as you said, anything exceeding $2000 would interest them. He just made it seem like they sought him out and wanted his pieces :)

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 10:43:19 am »
I wonder why the seller didn't supply more photos in the listing. One should question whether it's really gold gilt. In the 18th century ormolu was gilded with gold using mercury but was outlawed sometime in the 19th century dues to health risks from the mercury. Many of these gilders didn't live past 40. Later forms of ormolu were devised that didn't include real gold.   

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 07:03:56 pm »
Very interesting Syl, I was not aware of that. This little piece is providing me with quite the food for thought.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:02:56 pm »
Just go to Wikipedia and look up ormolu. I wonder what the guy means by it might be signed underneath. Is he talking about the top, of which there are no pictures? Why wouldn't he open it? I don't know. Buyer beware!!!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 10:32:27 pm »
$450.00 and rising with 4 days, can't wait for the conclusion on this one.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 12:24:15 am »
Syl, I'm pretty sure he means the ivory plaque on the top. He would probably have to bend the rims to get the stone out, so I can see where he's coming from there. The only thing is, it already looks like that has been done (the rims are quite bent, as if they've been dropped). I'm also interested in the coconut chalice he is offering, although the price is already pretty high considering the time left on the auction.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 06:04:22 pm »
Someone bought this casket box for $1325. Was it you Lux?