Author Topic: HELP! Any info available on following painting appreciated!  (Read 1997 times)

saphyre

• View Profile
HELP! Any info available on following painting appreciated!
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:45:38 pm »
Hi All,
I came across this oil painting and was wondering if anyone could provide some insight on it. The painter is Benson. I did a search and came across Frank W Benson....style not very similar and could not match signature.
Any info would be very much appreciated :)
Photos included.
*Sorry, updated with correct artist I found info on = Frank Watson Benson.....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 05:51:10 pm by saphyre »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: HELP! Any info available on following painting appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:42:11 pm »
I would lean towards, Frank W Benson. worked Italy germany etc. long history of art work.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:49:02 pm »
There are many, many, many painters out there with the name Benson. Do you have any way of narrowing it down? Where did the painting come from?

saphyre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:14:06 pm »
It's at an antique shop in MA. Sorry, I don't have any other info, just the pictures.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:50:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum , saphyre .

Do you have any images of the back (&/or pics of where the canvas attaches to it's frame) of 'your' painting that you could post here ?

As others said , many Benson-named artists .

More clues are helpful .

I guess that the folks @ the shop didn't know ?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:23:32 am by regularjoe2 »

saphyre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 06:47:32 am »
I'm going back today to investigate more and I'll take more pics. If it IS a real F W Benson painting, I'd be beyond shocked. (Wishful thinking that I'd be that person at the end of Antique Roadshow with the whopper!). In any event, the painting is about $300, oil on canvas, and looks old. I think it's an interesting painting, my husband thinks 'amateur-ish' .
By the way, there was also a Jan Brink oil on canvas there that REALLY looks authentic, signatures are a match, paining looks really old, appropriate subjects. Asking $275. I just saw a similiar one listed on Ebay for $1800.00. Could I be that lucky?

saphyre

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 06:26:36 am »
There is nothing special about the frame. It was shoddily placed in a cheap frame. I bought it anyhow, just because I like it.
My big gold star goes to the Jan Brink painting that I got. I am so excited about it. It's actually oil painted on a huge sheet of porcelain. The frame has writing in pencil (artists' signature again with a date and something I can't quite make out). There is minor damage to the paint, a bit of flaking here and there. It actually looks intentional in some spots(window)...The really neat thing about this is that the artist used his fingers to make smoke billowing from the pot in the hearth. His fingerprints are clearly visible.