Author Topic: Chrome wrapped ceramic duck  (Read 1216 times)

ron_s

• View Profile
Chrome wrapped ceramic duck
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:57:08 am »
I got this duck at a store in Charleston because it was different.  I have been unable to find out anything about it. The duck is a painted ceramic and the body is wrapped in chrome plated metal.  There are no seams on the bottom and the areas that adjoin the ceramic are neatly detailed.  The  metal is quite thick, probably around 22 gauge.  Any help would be appreciated.
Ron

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Chrome wrapped ceramic duck
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:55:55 am »
     It appears to be a example of Tonala Mexican Pottery.  Never seen one with Chrome on it before.  What is the size of the item, height that is?  Also can we get a pic of the bottom of the piece?  Tonala Mexican pottery was imported here to the states by the tons, and still today it would seem that anyone who travels to mexico bring back a piece.  I also learned that different regions have different colors, and one can tell where the item was made just by the color.  The Older pieces of Tonala pottery have a duller earth tone color and the later ones have more vivid and brighter colors.  Again not 100% sure due to the chrome armor it is wearing.

ron_s

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:02:47 pm »
The duck is about 12 inches high.  I suspect that it is Mexican pottery, but it completely wrapped in chrome armor.  There are no identification marks on the chrome, so it is possible it was made be some artisan who was into metal working.  The pictures included show additional details.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 02:19:28 pm »
Interesting and bizarre....definite ly a conversation piece.

Would be interesting to know if there is pottery underneath the chrome/metal.

From what I can see the melting point of the chrome/steel is lower than that of pottery/glass--so it is possible.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!