Author Topic: Big Ben!  (Read 1984 times)

DizE

• View Profile
Big Ben!
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:42:15 pm »
I bought this at an auction for $1, Figured it might have some value: Especially to a clock collector. It is only the top part of the box, no clock or bottom.
  Thoughts?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Big Ben!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 05:56:10 pm »
Neat piece of memorabilia.  Don't think you will have collectors clamoring for it tho'!

You should always buy/invest in items that mean alot to you...  Would look great roughly framed and collaged with a group of wall clocks or on a table!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

DizE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:07:44 pm »
Yea I just found it neat, and a cool piece of history in my eyes. So I thought I'd pick it up.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 09:24:57 pm »
The 'Big Ben' as I recall , was a popular bedside alarm clock (back when ticking sounds didn't bother people so much) .

Several models & quality variety through the years - got one when I was a wee lad delivering morning papers .

They also made variations on it's theme - Little Ben , Baby Ben .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 11:35:34 pm »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 12:06:25 am »
Long ago, I also had one of these Big Ben's and it never failed to shock me out of a dead sleep.
No gradual increasing volume meant to ease you pleasantly out of bed or snooze settings on these bad boys.
It was like waking up to a fire alarm but it always pulled my sorry butt out of bed on time.
Every employer should give these out as Christmas gifts to eliminate tardiness.

DizE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:53:30 am »
Just for grins....
http://www.alarmclocksonline.com/VintageAlarmClocks.htm

After looking at that, Looks like I need to look around a little more for the clock next time lol. I'm sure the clock with the box would have only brought 3 dollars if that at the auction, Could have made a nice little profit:p