Author Topic: Silverplate tea spoon with German Insigna  (Read 1392 times)

ceevee

• View Profile
Silverplate tea spoon with German Insigna
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:46:42 am »
I have an old German tea spoon (or perhaps a demitasse spoon) with the infamous German insignia on it.  My grandparent gave it to me but never mentioned how it came into her possession.  Since some members of my extended family are Jewish I, of course, do not wish to keep it.  Can anyone speculate on its worth or where and/or how I can get rid of it?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Silverplate tea spoon with German Insigna
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:59:09 am »
Can we get pics of the item.  This will help in determining value.

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 11:57:56 am »
Pre-WWII, the infamous Nazi symbol was actually a commonly used symbol by different cultures, especially by Native Americans.  Their symbol was called a 'whirling' or 'rolling log'. I think the legs of the Indian symbol may actually 'rotate' a different direction.  After the Nazis, it was out of favor due to the terrible connotation associated with it.  I would make sure this is actually a 'German' spoon and not a German made spoon with a pre-Nazi symbol on it.  If it is a Native American item it may be nice to keep.  Pictures of it, as previously mentioned, would be a great help.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 12:17:54 pm »
It's also a common symbol in old Chinese art. Photos of the spoon would help, including the makers info on the back of the spoon.

It's understandable not to want to keep it. But it's also important to remember terrible times in history so that the stories are retold and it doesn't happen again if it is a relic of Nazi Germany. I guess then you have to consider if it is better to preserve a dark piece of history or you could always choose to sell it for its silver content, or have it melted down and made into something else, like a ring to remember your Grandparents. I for one prefer to preserved things like this, but that's me. I think since it came from your grandparents that has to be a very personal decision.

Another thought would be to donate it to a museum like the Holocaust Museum, where you know it would be viewed and studied in the proper context. That would be my recommendation.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 05:03:52 pm »
Ceevee, would you please post a pic of this or try your hardest to draw it or even try a rubbing of it.

It may not necessarily be the Nazi symbol....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!