Author Topic: Arcade "X-Ray" Coffee Grinder  (Read 9445 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Arcade "X-Ray" Coffee Grinder
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:56:06 pm »
I just got this X-Ray coffee grinder.  I know these were made by the Arcade company from 1894 through 1920, but I was wondering if there is any way to tell the earlier models from the later ones? This one is unmarked, but would have originally had a sticker on the glass. The glass is original and still has the metal strip along the top, securing it in place. Did some of these have patent dates on the handles like other Arcade grinder models? Does anyone know if there were differences in earlier vs. later production? There seem to be different screws, possibly replacements, securing the handles to the grinding mechanism. This one looks like it has the original nut, it's the disc in the center of the handle, with round "grips" around the edges. Usually I see these with things like wing nuts on them. I've also not seen many with that metal strip to hold the glass still in place.

I paid $55 for this one. It came from an estate, an old farm house in Minnesota where it was still in use by the owners who passed away in their 90's. It works great and grinds a good cup of coffee. It is missing the catch cup that hangs below it, but I've ordered a repro replacement.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Arcade "X-Ray" Coffee Grinder
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:39:10 pm »
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:56:14 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 04:19:12 pm »
Nope, no patent number at all. Yes, the X-Ray in your link is identical to mine, minus the sticker, and it has a different nust securing the handle. The nut on mine is very similar, but without the wings.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 06:55:14 pm »
Wow that's a sweet grinder. :o

I love all the details of the metal hardware.Was the lever painted when you got it?

The antique look of this is a thing of beauty in my eyes.
Great item with lot's of style and character.

Now I'm wondering why I use a noisy electric coffee grinder that wakes everyone up when it's used and looks so boring.  

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:03:19 pm by Dean Perdue »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:40:00 pm »
It hasn't been repainted, it had that black enamel finish on the cast iron originally, from what I have read. There is also a finish on the wood and it's aging and crackling a bit around the edges.

This coffee grinder is just as noisy as an electric and it takes longer to do the grinding. Occasionally a bean gets stuck and you have to stick a knife or a skewer down through the bean box to free it up. But I just retired my electric to the cupboard anyway, I love it, it looks great in the kitchen and I'm having fun "doing the daily grind" in the mornings!  ;D Go shopping Dean!! You NEED one!!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:11:56 pm »
    Does it have Espresso Grind setting  :D.  Now all you need is a really old coffee pot to brew your coffee in.  Modern tech sure has taken our character away in many ways.  The two greatest inventions though is the Latta, and of course the toliet.  I love your grinder tales, maybe we should all retire our old grinder.  You know I think I am.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 11:25:23 pm »
I agree.

Judging from KC's post and your photo it appears the lever has some sort of flowered vines  theme going on.
I wonder if that was  hand done?
Any way you could show a close up of the art on the lever when you have your camera and get a chance?
I think it's pretty cool that the maker went through that trouble to give it a decorative touch.
Even the swiveling lid has style.

Somewhere in the area of 100 years old and it's still saying bring it on.

PS-Looks like it was made to fit in that spot.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:54:41 am by Dean Perdue »

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:34:42 pm by Dean Perdue »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:56:21 pm »
Sure Dean, here's a close-up on the hand crank and grinder housing. They are made of cast iron, so I think any hand work would have been done on the mold it came from, but not on the grinder itself.

The place it is mounted is in my kitchen, which is a converted back porch. So I had a nice 4x4 post to mount it to!

That's a cool coffee pot, but I don't think I had better retire Mr. Coffee just yet, I rely pretty heavily on the auto-shutoff function when I'm sleepy and rushing off to work!!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:12:05 am by talesofthesevenseas »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 12:21:32 am »
Here's a couple of additional detail shots:

The cap on the top of the bean box. The top edges of the box are rounded, with some square dovetailing:

Side of the bean box:

Up-close on the battered old dovetailing:

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 02:23:49 am »
It's like the more I look at it the more I like it.
When you have people over for coffee bet they'll be impressed with it.I'm sure it will bring intrest and comments.
Best of luck on dating it.
Very nice.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 05:28:19 am »
Tales, would this be yours?

http://www.oldcoffeegrinders.com/canister-or-wall-mounted-coffee.htm

Ninth down, Item #4020

"This mill was manufactured by the Arcade Mfg. Co. of Freeport, Ill. around 1900. This X-Ray mill was covered with a reddish paint or stain when I got it, so it was stripped then sanded and finished with a golden oak stain and an antique oil finish. It has a clear glass viewing window with a reproduced Arcade X-Ray label attached. This mill has it's original japanned finish on the exterior of the cast iron and the mill was completely disassembled and cleaned to like new condition.  This mill comes equipped with a cast copy of the catch cup that was originally supplied with this mill. The length of the wood portion is right around 11 1/2" (14 3/4" long with the catch cup hanging at the bottom), 4 3/4" wide and 3 1/2" deep."

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 05:44:20 am »
Don't know if this would lead anywhere......

http://history.fcgov.com/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/ma&CISOPTR=3048&CISOBOX=1&REC=3

COFFEE MILL, WALL
Description   H-28.9, W-11.4,D-8.9. Wall coffee mill;wooden hop- per w/glass front; embossed bladk iron grinding mechanism w/wood handle;iron hopper hole cover; label reads "X-ray Coffee Mill #1,patent applied for, mfg.by ?cade Manfg. Co."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 11:39:26 am »
It is so interesting that a patent was never issued that I can find.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 12:01:56 pm »
Sapphire, that's not the exact one I bought, mine came from Ebay, but that's the same model. It doesn't look like they changed much during the time frame during which they were made.

This site gives the dates of production for the X-Ray as 1890 - 1920:
http://www.javaholics.net/html/coffee_mill_history.html

Somewhere in my internet searches I did see a mention of a patent in 1894, but not a link to it specifically. I'll have to try to find it again.

Glad you guys like it!