Author Topic: Primitive Redware Pottery,Bowls,Pitchers,Plates and more  (Read 5217 times)

OLDZ06

• View Profile
Primitive Redware Pottery,Bowls,Pitchers,Plates and more
« on: February 25, 2010, 02:04:18 pm »
I have a large collection of old primitive pottery. I would love to show some pictures here to anyone interested in seeing them and talking about them. Looking for all the info I can gather like origin,age,etc. Let me know if you all would like to see some pics. I have a bunch. Thanks in advance.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Primitive Redware Pottery,Bowls,Pitchers,Plates and more
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 03:05:20 pm »
Welcome OLDZ06!

We would love to see your pottery and help you out with information on them!

Please post pictures!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:31:33 pm »
Ok here is a pair I think might be Moravian made. All of my pottery has been well used over the years. 2 large bowls here to start off with.

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:15:00 pm »
Few more.
This one is huge almost 17" across and 5" high. This might be considerd yelloware.

This one is a favorite

These 2 are different they are much thinner and you can see they are  redware clay and they are very smooth and shiny on the bottoms. These seem to be very very old and you can see the green decoration still on the inside.

There are more to come.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:10:36 am by OLDZ06 »

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:53:00 pm »
Lot of views but no comments. Im stumping you all here with these huh  ;D I have a few exactley like this one below with slipware stripes  I think they call it on the top . I did see one just like it on ebay just not long ago it went for 175 or someting close to that they described it coming from the southern NC area but I have not found any info in books or on the internet to confirm this to be true. I know a lot of old Redware and yelloware started in the Germany area before it got to the USA. Maybe some of these are German. http://cgi.ebay.com/Slip-Decorated-Redware-Southern-NC-EARLY-Folk-Art-LARGE_W0QQitemZ130367242667QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1217QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7848780919331426931

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 03:14:13 pm »
If we could say Moravian, we would speaking some good money. regardless Redware is becomeing a fast seller. I suspect some of it's Penn Dutch. the Slip ware painted, are likely to be Penn Dutch.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 03:23:50 pm »
I don't know anything about redware but it's an interesting topic. I have a couple of Millers Antique Guides and redware in there starts at several hundred dollars and goes into 5 figures. A couple of pieces go over 6 figures. Well worth checking out. Millers prices are based on auction results and dealer sales.

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 04:17:55 pm »
If we could say Moravian, we would speaking some good money. regardless Redware is becomeing a fast seller. I suspect some of it's Penn Dutch. the Slip ware painted, are likely to be Penn Dutch.
Well this right here is Moravian. From my research many Moravians came from Germany.Click below.
http://www.prices4antiques.com/pottery-porcelain/redware/Redware-Moravian-Bowl-Squiggle-Decoration-9-inch-D9849003.htm
and mine here below > Notice the lip. Slip designs would vary from one piece to another.

Notice the lip on this it is what they call inverted if I remember correctley

Notice the yellow glazed bowl 2nd from the left above shows the redware in the center where it has worn down from usage.
So far I have found information on them being possible French, German, Moravian made from Germany, PA Dutch, and North Carolina Pottery. Here is a french one like many I have.
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/wildmeems/item/AK01?gbase=1

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:15:51 am by OLDZ06 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 12:45:36 pm »
Agree with D&b on the painted ones.

Nice collection there!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 01:05:28 pm »
Thanks I have small addiction to old primitive pottery. I have'nt bought a new piece for the last 10 years. I ran out of space. Each one of these is different in color and striping.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:13:32 pm by OLDZ06 »