Author Topic: Old Wooden Wash Board  (Read 1827 times)

OLDZ06

• View Profile
Old Wooden Wash Board
« on: February 25, 2010, 04:35:08 pm »
Have you ever seen one like this ? dated 1899 on the top.

OLDZ06

• View Profile
Re: Old Wooden Wash Board
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:44:22 pm »
At the top it has the 2 large flowers carved on each side and there is a house in the center with trees on the sides. It is very worn and smooth. I have never seen one like it. Maybe Dutch Holland origin or German ? which is just a wild guess.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 04:49:22 pm »
Oh wow, I was really surprised when I saw the photo. I have never seen one like this. Where did you find it? I've always enjoyed antiques that were a useful part of everyday life. I think they just ooze history!

I used to work at the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose CA and one of the things that Sarah Winchester invented and pantented was a sink with a washboard molded into the front of it as an integral part of the sink. Two of them are still in place in the house.

I have always liked washboards. They look great displayed in an old-fashioned kitchen and there are so many different types. But I haven't seen one like yours. VERY NICE!!!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:58:58 pm »
I bought it at a public auction same one where a lot of my pottery came from. They just received a huge lot of antiques that were shipped to them from Old Germany and the French regins some PA stuff also.  I saw your coffee grinder,looks like a nice one. I have a few old ones but none like yours.  I also have a weakness for old stuff that was used around the home.