Author Topic: Not an antique  (Read 5900 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
Not an antique
« on: February 26, 2010, 05:19:00 pm »
Hello all this is not an antique but I know nothing about furniture and I  have found many here are very knowledgeable!!!!! This is a one of a kind, designed and made by my husband & assisted by my 6 year old   (as is most of my furniture) It is all solid wood - Cherry with a walnut inlay & mahogany feet. Would love to have a ball park on value as to know if I should have it appraised for insurance purposes. could never part with it - to me it is priceless!!!!! thank you all

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Re: Not an antique
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:06:40 pm »
could never part with it - to me it is priceless!!!!! thank you all

Something tells me it will gain more & more value with every passing day.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 08:29:01 pm »
Dean hopefully  all his furniture will stay in our family for generations to come!!! Would love it to be on antiques road show 100 years from now & be worth big bucks as a piece made by a local artisan. I love how he signs all his pieces to me, this one was for an anniversary. I will print out the history and attach them to all his pieces he has made me. I also love that my little one helps him & Dad is passing his skills on. This piece was  my Christmas present all solid wood ,cherry.  Love it!!!!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:47:19 pm »
Very nice work.
Imagine what memories this lucky kid will have when he's passing down the table to his grandchildren and telling them...me and my old man built this when I was 6.
Where did your husband learn to do this kind of work?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 11:27:21 pm »
AWWWWWWWW!!! Love the signature! Beautiful furniture. You have a talented husband and it sounds like your son is learning from him!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 07:34:15 am »
Thanks Tales, he is very talented. My little one had all his own tools at age 4 I was terrified he would drill through his foot with his big boy drill he is not strong enough to hold the wood to drill so he stands on it with both feet and drills between them but as of yet no injuries!!! Dean Nicholas (my little one) will have many wonderful  memories as him & Dad do so much together they are even building a monster truck together (1978 Chevy stripped down to the frame now) and restoring  a 1955 ford F600 dump truck. As far as where he learned to do this kind of work he is all self taught, he has been a builder and does residential and small commercial property design plans for over 25 years. He loves finish work in homes but furniture is his passion. He reads everything he can get his hands on woodworking  magazine is a must in our house!!!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 08:04:20 am »
That  is nice work ! & it's signed & dated.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 12:47:38 pm »
Building memories, skills (and possibly a carreer).  Don't forget to document the information and have it go along with the piece!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 01:10:06 pm »
Nice work done there. Hard to put a price on something that has personal value. Priceless in many ways.

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 01:41:11 pm »
OMG!!!

What a BEAUTY!!

The problem with insurance is that this truly is not replaceable.  If it were to be lost in a fire (God Forbid) then there really is no amount of money that would replace it.

I certainly agree that you should document the history of the piece - as well as the other furniture you husband and son have made, and keep copies in your safe deposit box. 

This is one of the few things I've seen that truly is priceless.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 02:16:04 pm »
Thank you to all, Chinese Antique Furniture great idea about the safety deposit box I will put photos with the written history. I would  also like to place the history on each piece  in case it ever leaves our family & ends up with wonderful collectors like all of you. How should I do this?? I am afraid taped paper after many years will fall off and be lost. Should I write it on the back or bottom of each piece in  pencil, marker etc.... As I type Dad & Nick are in the garage making a desk for our oldest son, This is being made from Bubinga & Bird's-eye maple I can tell you the wood alone for this piece was $1,200.00!!!! Will post photos when they have completed it. Thanks to all again.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 02:39:10 pm »
Wendy some times I work another  furniture Blog, some one thru out a Birds Eye table. the question was there any value? of course it's nothing short of rare.

Birds eye is rarely seen any more. when it comes up it attract's attention!

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 02:49:49 pm »
A desk with Birds Eye Maple that will be one nice desk. I have always liked Birds Eye Maple and Tiger Maple/Curley Maple.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 03:22:18 pm »
OMG D&B how could someone just send a Birds eye table  to the trash it is so beautiful !!!! The birds eye took weeks to get the order in, the Bubinga took weeks to receive also as it is from Africa. The only pieces I have seen recently of birds eye have all been small pieces from  veneer and made by private owners. oldz I love tiger maple also maybe that will be next. (lol)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 11:50:35 pm »
A funny little bit of trivia on birds eye maple- Sarah Winchester loved it so much, that she actually had the redwood trim in her fabric storage room meticulously HAND PAINTED to fake birds eye maple!
Antiqueaholic in recovery