Author Topic: The problem with primitives is...  (Read 3868 times)

buyitonebay

• View Profile
The problem with primitives is...
« on: February 27, 2010, 09:05:54 pm »
i can never tell when I have something that is old or if I have something that is new. I have this problem with African wooden sculptures, jade carvings, stone carvings (as in my current case), woven baskets, metal works. I love when an item I pick up says Tiffany & co. 925 silver, this I have no problem with. What I have a problem with is my love for the unmarked, one off, hand made items that are usually impossible to figure out who made let alone when. If anyone can steer me towards who worships or worshiped cone headed female goddesses I would appreciate it. That will let me start doing my own research. The item is only 6 inches tall and made of a gray hard sand stone (IMHO). Thanks
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

OLDZ06

• View Profile
Re: The problem with primitives is...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:28:33 pm »
Well I love primitives and one of a kinds but this here leaves me speechless . Where did this come from ? Some kind of imported souvenir maybe ???

buyitonebay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:47:01 pm »
Today here in Jacksonville we they had an indoor yard sale at the fair grounds. There wasn't much there in the way of collectables and I got there a little late. On my second and last walk by the tables to make sure I hadn't miss anything I saw this on a table and snatched it up. After a whopping $2 she was mine. One good thing about things like this is most people will pass it right by (probably because they are smarter then me, lol). You all really helped me with my miniature mino rain cape I posted a week or so ago so I thought I'd run this one by ya.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 10:16:06 pm »
definitely NOT an expert on tribal art but the Yoruba tribe from Nigeria used this type of tapered crown  head piece on many dolls and figures. maybe a good place to start your research. almost has a cement look to me really makes me question this piece. maybe someone else will chime in.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:23:15 pm by wendy177 »

buyitonebay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:06:05 am »
This is as close and clear as I can get with my macro on my camera. You are right as far as the appearance of a cement type structure but I am continuing to think it is a gray sandstone which is in actuality just small particles of rock cemented together naturally? I guess we could both be right then.

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:42:27 am »
I jumpted when I read about your difficulty identifying new/old primitives.  I would be just as lost as you.

Years ago I decided to concentrate on wood - and even now don't always get it right.  Baskets, jade?  Hopeless for me.  Maybe if I'd spent more time some years ago.  The issue that always comes up for me is the very high priced stuff.  If you have a primitive piece priced at an antique show for big $$$$$, the new/old question is really critical.  Often the seller just believes what the person who sold it to them said.  Frankly, that's no good at all.  Expert opinion is critical. 

That's why on the really good stuff where one pays big $$$$, I would rather buy from someone I know to be expert rather than take a chance on the dealer being accurate. 

Buying at yard sales gives one the potential of acquiring a gem tremendously undervalued.  My problem is I've always found my "best finds" turning into dust before the expert's eyes. 

Good luck to you.  You have posed a fascinating question.  There really is no answer to the question, but it is one we all wrestle with all the time.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 06:55:02 am »
almost has a cement look to me really makes me question this piece. maybe someone else will chime in.

I agree Wendy, the patina characteristic of an old piece is just not there.

Check this picture out from - http://www.ancestralartsafrica.com/wordpress/?p=212

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:07:47 am »
it looks too clean, like acid etched cement.

You are right, its hard to determine with primitives.

That said.. I like it!! You got a steal for 2$!

Ill take it off your hands for 4$.. you can "double your money!".. :) 8)
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 09:58:00 pm »
It does seem obviously phallic to me , and missing patina .

Vrillon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 01:02:36 pm »
I would think if its been around a salt water region such as an ocean if not in the ocean, it would be white like that, like the Easter Island statues.

assuming it is real.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:06:21 pm by Vrillon »

buyitonebay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 06:51:55 pm »
I also notice the phallic aspect of it. Looking at it under my loop it does appear to be a cement of some type (but I can't rule out a dark sand stone). Very small particles like sand with bits of dark and light crystals and kind of an ashy appearance. Also has a peculiar odor. Oh well. I know that $2 pre Colombian artifact is in my future somewhere! Now who was that that offered me $4 for it? Lol, thanks guys.