Author Topic: Silver spoon...  (Read 3227 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Silver spoon...
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:27:43 am »
I was wondering what it means when you have two silver hallmarks on one spoon but the dates are totally different.
http://www.925-1000.com/Fnetherlands_Date_Code.html

One of the free items I got today was a Navy spoon that has a "W" inside a circle and an "A" inside a circle. Just like those two dutch ones. The "A" on mine looks just like the 1910 mark. I can't find any other makers with these same marks. Mine looks exactly like this one, except mine is silver and not stainless. And the "U.S.N." is smaller on mine.

http://www.foodclassics.com/store/silverware/1/USN-NAVY-SILCO-STAINLESS-KNIFE--SPOON-SILVERWARE-190369022004.html

Is this spoon from WWII-ish or WWII-ish?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:30:44 am by hosman321 »

Vrillon

• View Profile
Re: Silver spoon...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:04:05 pm »
my guess is when it comes to hallmarks, you go by the latest date and hallmark you can find.

WWII I venture to say.

I would also guess they are part of a set kept in storage and used very little, probably for special occasions.

But they really dont look older then WWII era.

One thing to learn about hallmarks is you get their locations right as well, sometimes that can throw you off.
They may or may not be Dutch.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 03:46:05 pm »
Can you post a photo of the spoon that you have with the marks showing?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:33:28 pm »
Many times the officers on the ship had silver to use while the enlisted used stainless steel.  I have a silver side handled pot myself!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:40:35 pm »
The marks are super tiny but I'll try to get pics tonight. Good thing I have a good camera. Thanks for the input, guys. And gals.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 04:23:18 am »
I can't get a pic of the dang marks. It just took me 30 minutes to get these two pics. Any hint of light anywhere causes the spoon to just be a bright reflection. And with the marks being itty bitty I just got too frustrated. I'll find my magnifying glass and try again later!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:25:14 pm »
Draw them out?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 01:02:15 am »
Thanks for all the (frustrating) efforts @ getting images , hosman321 .

Sometimes I use a bit of good old black shoe polish , to dull (temporarily) the gleam & highlight hallmarks when photographing polished silver .... I also use portable spotlights (even a drop-light will do , though) to toss light at a low angle across hallmarks .
Macro & tripod work ... sometimes a hassle !

I've taken way too many glowing (and fuzzy) , gold-like pictures of silver .... all gone to the recycle bin now , though .

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 01:16:11 am »
Well, I could try to draw them but the marks look exactly like the ones in the first link. The 1910 "A" and the 1931 "W". So, I guess it was made in 1931? Just tryin to get an idea of the era, I like to know about everything I have. No matter how big or small. :)

scanr.man

• View Profile
    • Antiquescanr.com
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 03:55:00 am »
Good to hear that you like to know about everything you have. I'm the same. It is true that in most of the cases the upper ranked have user silverware while the lower ranked had stainless steel. And yes, you always have to look at the latter date which in your case is 1931. That obviously means that it's WWII  ;)