Author Topic: Old Picture that I bought  (Read 3748 times)

kolzig01

• View Profile
Old Picture that I bought
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:40:10 am »
Hello everyone, I picked up this picture a while back for like twenty bucks. I have always wondered what it was and have not been able to find any information online. Thanks for all the help you can provide. The plaque on the bottom reads Gift Of Class 1925. It measure 3.5 feet across. There is no flag or name visible on either ship.   

syl

• View Profile
Re: Old Picture that I bought
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:58:39 am »
Is this an original oil painting or a print? Is there any signature on it, front or back? What are the dimensions of it?

kolzig01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:07:43 pm »
2 feet three inches tall 3 feet 6 inches long. There is a signature but I cant read it. It says H something. Here is a pick

kolzig01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:08:47 pm »
I'm really sorry I'm a complete novice. I dont know how to tell if its a painting or a print.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 12:17:45 pm »
Am I mistaken or is that the bottom of the flag peeking out from under the top edge of the frame? Looks like you could remove the frame to ID the country of origin. My guess is that it is an older painting that was reframed in '25. I hope the top part of the painting is still there, it would be odd for an artist to cut off the upper sails. It may have been done intentionally by the class of '25 to obscure the ship if it was of foreign origin. The sails popping out to the side are called studding sails or stun'sls. They are pre-20th century, but that doesn't mean that the painting dates to that era. You might remember a scene in Master and Commander when an enemy ship in pursuit pops those stun'sls out to the side... OH NO!!! :o
Antiqueaholic in recovery

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 12:26:57 pm »
It does look like the frame is covering up part of the painting or print.

kolzig01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:28:01 pm »
Hey thank you very much. Unfortunately it is cut off at the top.Thank you for the information.  

kolzig01

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:41:33 pm »
Does anyone have any ideas about the author? I couldn't even get a full name.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:48:13 pm »
Looks like it ends in "dai" or is that just part of the waves?

Feel with your fingers along the edges of the picture and especially on the highs and lows of the waves, to see if you can feel the lumps and bumps of oil paint. It would likely be done on canvas, which you could see on the back side. Maybe wood if it is older. If it's a print it will be smooth on the surface. Oil paintings have a thick, sculpted feel to the paint and it is even applied with a knife in places. Your edges along the bottom look painted, I would expect to see a smoother edge line if it was a print.

kolzig01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 12:55:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's a print then cause its pretty smooth. There is also some kind of green paper stuck onto the back of where the picture is mounted on. Its like a tag board substance.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 01:16:20 pm »
I'm just wondering what that white blotchiness over the signature is. If it's part of the sea foam why would the painter put it over his name. Anyway the first name looks to me like Hans. Last name ends in R?

kolzig01

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 01:25:20 pm »
I have no idea what the white stuff is. I thought it was part of the waves but it does go over the signature. I was looking around maybe, Hans Peter Hansen? Cause it kind of looks like a big P in the middle.

Vrillon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 03:39:34 pm »
white stuff looks like some type of water damage, not sure or mold.

although it does give that presence as though you are in a boat of you own looking back taking the picture of the ship. Thats what the white stuff seems to look like.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 05:00:32 pm »
Maybe Hans Peters or Hans Peterson on that signature?

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 05:58:02 pm »
You really need to determine if it's an original painting or not. If it is you may really have something. There must be someone you can take it to.