Author Topic: Any Info on this garden gnome?  (Read 5615 times)

dhi1971

• View Profile
Any Info on this garden gnome?
« on: March 06, 2010, 11:20:01 am »
Hi,
I am looking for any specific information or identification of this garden gnome.  My great-grandparents bought it in Chicago around 1930.  It is cast-iron, 27 inches tall.  It was painted white years ago, but the original (?) colors can be seen --  red hat, yellow and blue clothes.  I don't see any manufacturer's marks on it.  It's very weathered and I plan on getting it cleaned up this spring.
Any information would be appreciated!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Any Info on this garden gnome?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 11:55:25 am »
How cool!! Love him!

Here is a Web site in the UK for antique garden gnome collectors, which has the prices that different pieces sold for. Click on each month to see photos and prices:
http://www.gnomeland.co.uk/Collectors%20corner.htm

Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 12:05:34 pm »
I found him!  :D

From the same site as in the post above, sold for US $200 in July of 2006 with the following description:
"Cast iron gnome produced at one of the old iron foundries in Kankakee, Illinois in the early 1900's.  18inches tall"
http://www.gnomeland.co.uk/Collectors%20corner-auction%20prices%20July%2006.html

dhi1971

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 12:10:34 pm »
Thank you so much!!  How cool!  I will tell my mom and it will make her day! :)
Dave

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:26:16 pm »
You're welcome! I hope your mom is pleased!

I took a look on Ebay and it looks like general prices on antique iron garden gnomes are pretty good in general, here is one similar, but not exactly like yours, going for $375. Looks like gnomes are recession-proof!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hand-painted-Gnome-1920s_W0QQitemZ120514400006QQcmdZViewItemQQptZArchitectural_Garden?hash=item1c0f37cf06

Cleaned up and with a good repainting he'll be quite the toast of the garden! Please post some photos when you get him done, I'd love to see his transformation! If I were redoing him, I would try to reproduce the original paint scheme as much as possible, since you can see traces of the original paint. Your mom may recall some details.

dhi1971

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 12:37:34 pm »
It's good to know it's worth something - - but I'm keeping him! 
Thanks again - I'll post pics when it's done.  You've been very helpful!
Dave

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 02:06:47 pm »
Hi dh!

You are fortunate in that your gnome appears to have the watering pot as well - which will demand a higher price!!!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 06:25:57 pm »
Not that it's in most valuable state, but I really like the appearance as is.
It blends in well with the surroundings that you show and has a natury and natural weathered look to it.
Looks a bit more realistic (can a gnome be realistic) over the less aged and better condition version and definitely shows more character IMO.
Definately adds appeal to the yard.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 06:39:58 pm »
Good point, but I would worry about the effects of rust and corrosion if left in it's present state. I think since it has been outside exposed to the elements it would be necessary to conserve it, don't you think?

dhi1971

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 07:50:29 pm »
Dean - you make a good point about the "natural" look; that's what I've heard some people say.  It's been outside (and enduring Chicago winters) for about 80 years though without a break and maybe it's time to get him cleaned up.  Either way I'm lucky to have him.  And glad to hear the watering can adds value - - thank you to everyone for your help!
Dave

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 11:09:26 pm »
With you on the conservation and preservation part TOT7S. I just thought it looked great and had subtle beauty that fit in with it's environment perfectly.

Guess it's all about personal taste and owner deciding when that time is where it's doing more harm than good to look this way.

I appreciate original antiques that are in a great state of preservation as much as the next guy but also enjoy antiques that look their age and have their own personality traits.

The gnome's appeal to me is that it sat in the elements for all these years and looks exactly as it should.Kind of like the beauty that copper gutters get over the years.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:11:57 pm by Dean Perdue »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 11:36:57 pm »
It could always be scrubbed up a bit to remove loose rust and then have a clear coat applied. A few clear coats. To stop the rust and help to protect it a bit. I'd probably at least put it in a covered place such as a porch. Sitting in the soil probably won't help it much. In winter, I'd bring it inside or put it in a garage at least. Iron is fairly solid but it does get very brittle over time and will crack if left out much longer. I have a few iron items that were left outside for many years before I got them and they have either been destroyed or become fragile. I feel like if your guy were painted and restored he would just look like every other gnome in the neighborhood. I love his character as-is but of course he's not being sold so it's all what you think is best! :)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 01:22:37 am »
BTW TOT7S-
Great job finding another examle for comparison and ID.

dhi1971

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 07:41:26 pm »
Hosman-
That's a great point about bringing him inside during the winter.  I do that for my cheap porch furniture, and it's the least I can do for this guy!  I'm still undecided about repainting.  I like the idea about getting rid of the loose paint and rust and doing a clear coat.  The facial features and the more minute details (i.e. bib buttons, sleeves, shoes) might be more noticable and "cleaner."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 08:07:23 pm »
I have an antique French cast iron and bronze door knocker that had been repainted. I used a gentle paint stripper to remove the paint and take it down to the natural iron. All I do to keep the rust off away is to wipe it about once a month with olive oil. That's another option for your lil' guy if you like the look of the natural iron. Here's the before/after pix of the knocker, brought back from an old posting: