Author Topic: You want to see an interesting pottery mold ?  (Read 4948 times)

OLDZ06

• View Profile
You want to see an interesting pottery mold ?
« on: March 06, 2010, 06:13:01 pm »
I tried over a year ago to get more info on this with no luck. It is a very large cake mold at over 11" long. I guess you call it yelloware/spongeware pottery Lamb Mold. The word Orlice defines as this > Orlice  (German: Adler) is a river in the Czech Republic. Part of the river acts as the international boundary between the Czech Republic and Poland. It is tributary of the Labe river, to which it enters in Hradec Králové. Its main tributaries are Divoká Orlice and Tichá Orlice. I posted on some site that gave free appraisals over a year ago with no response :(  I think it is german type mold but not sure. Age I dont know that either. I know its old ;D  Value well not sure again on that. I know I have never seen one like it. Being yelloware/spongeware would attract those type of collectors and being a mold might attract other as well.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: You want to see an interesting pottery mold ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 06:28:36 pm »
Neat! I'll be interested to see what is said about this one, it fits in great with the recent ol' time kitchen theme we've had going lately! From what I see online, lamb cake molds are traditionally used for easter/spring cakes. But I have a different kind of memory of them. I remember attending a 49er's vs. Rams game in which one was the focal point of a tailgate party. It was the "sacrificial ram" that day!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:53:26 pm »
This one is going to test the best here I think. I have found plenty of cast iron griswolds but never a yelloware pottery one with spongeware design to boot.

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 08:33:06 pm »
Here is a similar one from Germany.  They are asking $380.  http://cupboardsandroses.com/items/165.php

Sometimes I leave Google and go to Bing.  It is nice to travel once in awhile.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 08:34:57 pm »
http://cupboardsandroses.com/items/165.php

I see wayward beat me to it ;)

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 08:37:54 pm »
Good one, sapphire!  We're on the same page.  Kovels had this one listed also but there is no pic so hard to tell what it looked like.

Category Kitchen Pattern or Item Mold Description Food, Recumbent Ram, Pottery, Glazed Interior, Blue, Brown, 2 Piece, 9 x 12 In. Year 2003 Price $140.00

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 08:48:20 pm »
Here is a similar one from Germany.  They are asking $380.  http://cupboardsandroses.com/items/165.php

Sometimes I leave Google and go to Bing.  It is nice to travel once in awhile.
That one is close,but mine does not have handles and mine does not stand up it lays down flat. Kovals had one listed years ago with no picture for around 350 if I remember right but it did not have a spongeware design. This could have easily come from the black forest area. I remember the auction that it came from had some black forest boxes, dont remember what these boxes are called ?  and clocks from germany. I bought one of those clocks at the same time. Its been a few years .

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 08:56:10 pm »
A bit of history.......

"Baranek Wielkanocny..

In Polish that means "Easter lamb".

As we come upon Easter Sunday it is a Polish tradition to have an Easter butter lamb or "baranek" on the dinner table.
The lamb symbolizes Christ, the lamb of God."

"An Easter tradition for many Polish Catholics, the butter lamb (Baranek wielkanocny) has been adopted by Christians around the world. The lamb is a symbol of the sacrifice of Jesus, but also of humility and gentleness; butter signifies the goodness and richness of Christ. A butter lamb is included in Polish Easter baskets, the contents of which are blessed on Holy Saturday and consumed to celebrate Easter and the end of the Lenten fast. "

For those who can read Polish   ;)

http://www.zaolzie.org/zaolzie2008/200803/PBI200803.htm

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 08:58:56 pm »
Yes, I am aware there are differences but they both lay flat for baking.  If you look at the pic of the German one, you can see flat raw stoneware lines by the front and back legs and one on its' nose.  It would rest on these spots during cooking.  Yours has round raw stoneware spots for resting on.  I just think they are different manufacturers with a similar design.  Possibly yours is earlier and the handles were an improvement to separate the two halves easier.  There is another stoneware lamb on the Ruby Lane site but it looks strange like it has legs sticking straight up.  I think theirs was a butter mold.

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 09:12:46 pm »
OK I see what you are saying now after looking at it again. I'm curious to why mine has Orlice stamped on it. They started making yelloware around 1830. I wonder when spongeware design came around and where or who started it . I never did a search on the begining of spongeware.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 09:17:44 pm »
Another on Kovels (of course no pic)

Yellowware

Yellowware is a heavy earthenware made of a yellowish clay. It varies in color from light yellow to orange-yellow. Many nineteenth- and twentieth-century kitchen bowls and jugs were made of yellowware. It was made in England and in the United States. Another form of pottery that is sometimes classed as yellowware is listed in this book in the Mocha category.

Category   Yellowware
Pattern or Item   Mold
Description   Lamb, Reclining, 2 Piece
Year   2001
Price   $335.00

Read more: http://www.kovels.com/priceguide/kovels_yellowware/2001/mold/1851652.html#ixzz0hSOiBG9B

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 10:50:49 pm »
Thats the one I remember finding a while back. I have never found much more then this and the one wayword found. Must be a one off a kind.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 02:18:57 pm »
Is this yours?
http://www.collectitnow.com/node/25715/send

Another lamb mold
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Pottery-Food-Mold-Glazed-Sheep_W0QQitemZ380212987048QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item588675c4a8

Interesting site I have come to like - (I had the pleasure of cooking with the former chef of the late Princess Diana's in the past & learned of the joys of molds!)
http://www.historicfood.com/moulds.htm

Chocolate Molds History Timeline (though metals were more commonly used - some porcelain was used)
http://www.fieldmuseum.org/chocolate/making_manuf10.html

Molds were not only used for making fancy cakes or puddings, these were used for butters, chocolates and lest not forget jellies and the ever-popular sugar molding!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 02:21:06 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 05:18:05 pm »
Yes that mine and i dont think no one ever replied back . I can not seem to be able to log back onto that site for some reason. I don't think I will ever see one like mine with the spongware design and the word Orlice stamped on it. You would think you could find one. It must be ultra rare and one of a kind ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 05:30:52 pm »
I do think there are many others due to the way that Orlice was applied to the piece.  I just believe that you will find them in another country - other than the US.  They are hand-me-down items that are very endeared in families!  Will keep an eye out for you on this one!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!