Author Topic: My Great-Grandparents Dresser - Age? Value? History?  (Read 3913 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
My Great-Grandparents Dresser - Age? Value? History?
« on: March 07, 2010, 08:57:37 pm »
Please pardon that I have Photoshop'd out the background from these photos, but my great-grandparents dresser has to reside temporarily in a storage closet until my son moves his things from the spare room!

This dresser came to me from my great-grandparent's home in Medford Massachusetts. They passed away in the 1960's and we think this probably dates to the 20's or 30's but I'll let you guys tell me. I have only been able to locate one advertisement for Hayward Furniture Co of Boston and it dated to the 1930's. I have not been able to find anything else. Maybe you guys will have better luck! I don't know if this is a seller or a manufacturer.

This seems to be a good, well-made dresser, all solid wood, single piece solid top, dovetailed drawers, ball and claw feet, with no veneers, original finish, never altered, no mars, scuffs or watermarks, only tiny dings (these show up more with the flash than they do in real life). The finish appears much lighter in these photos, due to the flash. The actual color is very deep and dark, more like you see in the last photo in the background.

LOL, looks like I should have wiped Hubby's fingerprints off the drawer before I took the photo!

No chips on the toes, just a little wear on the knuckles of the dragon.

Solid top in great shape, a few tiny dings on the corners, but no scratches, stains, etc. Looks almost new.

The only clue to the maker (or seller?) are these plates in the drawers.

It is a little hard to see the dovetailing in the drawers, due to the dark finish. But they are there if you look closely.

So fellow antiquesters, what can you tell me about Great-Grandma and Grandpa's dresser?
Thanks gang!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:00:46 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Re: My Great-Grandparents Dresser - Age? Value? History?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:52:09 pm »
Sorry I'm of no help on this but my search wasn't successful in the way of Hayward antique furniture.
Wanted to say though that I love the feet and look of this item and think it's awesome that it stayed in your family all this time.At least you know it hasn't been messed with.

Best of luck in finding some detailed info.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 03:40:31 pm »
It certainly has the looks of the 1930's. it's a five Drawer which are always popular. it was designed in Boston. which is a Plus. it's done in a Chippendale style.$250.00 to $300.00 Dollars.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 03:45:53 pm »
Cool! That's about what we figured, it's great to have confirmation.

When the spare room is cleared, I'm also getting a painted drop-front writing desk and matching chair that I'll post photos of that belonged to the same great-grandparents.

Thanks D&B and thanks for hunting Dean!

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:30:04 pm »
Looks like a well built piece of furniture. Chippendale style with ball and claw feet is an interesting match.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:15:55 pm »
I have seen a Hayward Furniture Co piece before somewhere back in time.

The only information I had noted was that it was a store - not a manufacturing company.
That area of Boston is undergoing a city uplift project.  The beautiful old theater next door was redone several years ago.  The Hayward Place building was torn down many years ago.

Nicely made pice of furniture.  Early 1900's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 06:31:06 pm »
Thanks for the comments, I love it and although I was little when my great-grandparents passed, this dresser was in my grandparent's home my entire life and it is wonderful to have it with me now. I look forward to getting it out of the closet ASAP! I love it's feet too!

Thanks for that info on Hayward Furniture. I think D&B's date of the 1930's is probably right-on. There are modern-looking mass-manufactured steel screws with steel washers behind them holding the drawer pulls in place. I forgot to include that photo and will upload it tonight. These appear to be stainless steel as there are no signs of corrosion at all. I am certain that these are the original pulls and that nothing has ever been altered on the dresser.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 07:01:53 pm »
Still checking on the manufacturer .

Found a ref (c1881) to Hayward furniture in historical document (N.H.) .

Nothing solid so far , Talesof .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 10:31:28 pm »
Here's the photo of the screws/washers on the inside of the drawer securing the handle. Sorry I missed this yesterday.

And here is the only thing I have ever found on Hayward Furniture Co., An old add in the Boston Herald from 1933. Lower right corner, advertises a solid mahogany bed for $55. Looks like some interesting reading in 1933, 'eh? Burning houses, kangaroos and scantily clad girls! I'm afraid this was the only image I could get and it is not very clear.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 10:37:24 pm »
Up close on the ad:

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 10:39:11 pm »
Thanks for the close, all I could notice is the Kangroo Man.  LOL.  Now talk about vintage photoshop stuff.  ;)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 01:23:57 am »
Now how about a close up of the scantily clad girl (to judge the graphic quality of course).LOL ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 01:53:03 am »
The Kangaroo Man is pretty wild!  In fact the whole page is!  Especially for it's time!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 09:04:58 am »
Yeah it does seem rather tabloid-like for the Boston Globe of 1933 doesn't it?!!
OK which of you brave souls wants Kangaroo Man for your profile pic?!!! Here he is, with and without his belly. (Not sure if his tummy will fit the format)