Author Topic: James Dixon & sons sugar bowl 1854  (Read 4563 times)

baggins

• View Profile
James Dixon & sons sugar bowl 1854
« on: March 08, 2010, 01:55:28 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have a James Dixon & Sons silverplate sugar bowl from 1854.
Please below find the inscription:

L    3
James Dixon & sons
Sheffield
EPBN

I attached pictures as well ;D

The bottom inside the bowl is scratch badly, the outside is ok. Some of the silverplate on the legs wear out. The bowl is not perfectly circle anymore. After all that, I still think it look gorgeous and shiny ;D

Does anyone knows the value of that bowl ???

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: James Dixon & sons sugar bowl 1854
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:23:53 pm »
    My first question is what is the clue to the date being 1854?  1854 is a bit early for silverplate.  It was about that time the method of electrosilver plate was invented.  For the most part very few items was made silverplate.  Silverplate for the most part took off in the 1870's and then fell out of favor in the 1940's.  If it is from 1854 then you would have a very early piece of silverplate.   I will snoop around a bit more when I get home from work for any other clues.  As for value, unless the item is Excellent then the value would be very little.  So much silverplate around and collectors want it in great condition.  For the most part you would be looking at a couple of dollars in value.  Unless it is from 1854 then maybe you have something really special. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:02:44 pm »
Looks like they actually were electroplating silver quite early on, as early as 1823. Check it out:
http://www.silvercollection.it/electroplatesilverD.html#DIX1
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:06:02 pm »
Also EPBM is Electroplated Britannia Metal. I'm betting that's an M rather than an N.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:46:06 pm »
Yes it was first invented in 1805 by Luigi V Brug.... can't remember the exact Spelling, but first patent was awarded to George Elkington in 1840, and the first modern elctroplating plant was in Hamberg around the late 1870's.  Previous to that it was small shops that did elctroplating using a special battery, don't remember the name, Was very expensive and still for the upper class, but after the 1870's it got much easier and cheaper, enough for middle class to enjoy the look of the rich.  Not including Sheffield plate (another story) yes silverplate was around but to have a early silverplate item would be a rare item indeed.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:58:17 pm »
I mean James Dixon & Sons were doing electroplating in 1823, according to the link above. Sorry 'bout that!

Baggins, it would help to see a photo of the hallmark to dial in the actual date, unless you've already researched it and conclusively found that it dates to 1854? Do tell!  :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 09:22:32 pm »
I am betting it isn't a sugar bowl but a bon bon server!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 09:55:50 pm »
Good Point KC,  Baggins can you give us the size of the item.  If not my favorite Bon Bon dish, maybe a salt cellar.   I do want to say I really like the feet on your Sugar, Bon Bon, and or Salt Cellar.

baggins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 02:02:38 am »
Hi again,

Thanks everyone for the replies ;D

The way James Dixon & sons is stamp on the bowl was made between 1835 and 1879. And the date letter 'L' is for the year 1854.

Now I got all my info from the link below:

This is the link for sheffield silverware

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-11434.html

If I'm correct the diameter of the bowl is 13cm. Yes I'm not sure if it is a sugar bowl

Thanks again for all the help ;D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 10:50:57 am »
    Thanks for the link I've part way thus far, and skimmed it a bit.  It has some good info.  Still have not located the date code mark info.  I looked around in my books and online in search for chart that will list them.  This I would find valuable myself.  Personnally I'm going on info I have read about the rarity of silverplate.  90% of what you find is made between the dates of 1880's and 1940's, Pre that date is only small shops and had not caught on in the favor of the middle class, High class still wanted that silver.  During the Silverplate age, every middle class wanted to look and feel like a rich person, and silverplate nickle silver items was made by the tons.  After 1940's with the advent of stainless and newer less labor intensive metals.  Post war bought the housewives easier way of dealing with everyday life.  They wanted something they did not have to polish and clean in ways that would not damage the item.  Most Silverplate made after 1940's was for the Holiday table, and special parties.  Silverplate had a very short life, though it still lives to day, in minor qualities, the hayday of the silverplate was late victorian through the deco years.  Thanks for sharing baggins

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 02:11:11 pm »
On the history on this site it says they started electroplating in 1848.
http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_D.html
BUT I love this site for historical information!  http://www.britishsilverware.co.uk/jamesdixoncon.php

Interesting quote from an article about Dixon's electroplate on the V&A website (England) from an article in 1845.
This coffee pot was made in Britannia metal which was a very inexpensive alternative to other metallic goods. It could be electroplated to resemble silver. Britannia metal was not as durable as other silver substitutes such as German or nickel silver. 'A teapot … costing seven or eight shillings, will probably not last twelve months, while a teapot of German silver, costing about three pounds, will last fifty years.' From 'Cookery and Domestic Economy for Young Housewives', 1845
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O60019/coffee-pot/

We really need to see your mark.  There is another mark similar that is James Deakin & Sons http://www.antiquesilverspoons.co.uk/canteenmakers.htm#Deakin

On this Sheffield Forum site "Ladylikeme" has posted some very interesting information about JD&S
http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11434&page=3
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:20:30 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!