Author Topic: Antique pneumatic timer!  (Read 15641 times)

raddman

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« on: February 17, 2004, 06:38:10 pm »
I have found this item at an estate sale and can't for the life of me find out what it is used for, I have looked on many search engines without any luck, I even tried to track down the company address but there is an apparel shop there now, and can't find any reference to this company to ask them...On the dial is written (the pneumatic timer pat. June 15 1895) on the inside it shows the manufacturer (T.Mayhew&Co. Manufacturers 712 Broadway N.Y.)...it looks like its some kind of a light air testing tool/gage, it has a bellow and almost looks like clock workings inside and an end that looks like a small air hose would attach to and the outside looks like a small violin case, any help or direction on where to look or to find information about this item would be greatly appreciated, thank you, I have  pictures for viewing If you would email me at (rolland111@comcast.net) i will send you the pictures, again any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you, Russell  

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 03:58:24 pm »
You can upload small pictures here (shrink them to >10k)
It sounds really interesting!!! I bet everyone would LOVE to see what you have!
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 04:56:18 pm »
;) you'have a vintage switch. used on fuel operated motor's ( gas oil)etc.but found to be very affective and very popular on airplane engines.

raddman

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 07:28:23 pm »
I Hope This Picture Comes through....

raddman

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 07:31:07 pm »
another

raddman

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 07:32:16 pm »
Ditto...

raddman

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 07:33:21 pm »
last...

findit

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 10:06:28 pm »
Id say the case is the dead giveaway your right about it being a test fixture.
What is the scale on the dial? Can you tell from the internal workings why it has two hose outlets?
Ed

raddman

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 10:57:42 pm »
Hi...thanks for your interest Findit, I have had so many opinions on this item that my head is spinning...lol...it only has one hose outlet, the other side is a little press in opener pin, also the hose outlet when pushed in trips some mechanism inside to reset the dials, the large clock hand type on the face measures up to 60 seconds and the small hand measures to 8(must be minutes almost like a stop watch)...I have tried to find some info about the patents applied for  June 15 1895 but can't come up with any info using the internet, thank you

findit

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 01:18:04 pm »
Well.... it seems like it might be just what it is!!!!!
A (Pneumatically actuated) timer...?

How is it powererd? Does it only count if there is air flowing through it, or is it sealed, but actuated when air pressure is present, (Timer probably powered with a wind up machinisim (sp) of a sort).

One of these two are right, right?

Now, you question is.... what the heck was it used for! Guess we can start from the beginning.. :)

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2004, 03:18:36 pm »
<_< it was used on model airplane's.as a switch

raddman

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2004, 04:38:12 pm »
:( D&B...Thank you for your input but how is that possible when this item was patented in 1895 and the Wright Brothers didn't invent flying till ten years later? How or did they have had gas powered model airplanes around in the 1890's when this item was invented?  maybe I'm missing something here if I am please enlighten me because I'm more confused then ever now,also if it was a switch what did it switch? please if you would be more specific I feel like I'm being teased here, thank you

findit

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2004, 06:00:05 pm »
<_< it was used on model airplane's.as a switch
What would it switch? how would it switch? Raddman said it only had one input, and something else that didnt sound like an output.
Im still ignorant myself.  

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2004, 06:41:46 pm »
;) that info is readily available on the the web.

raddman

• View Profile
Antique pneumatic timer!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2004, 07:20:28 pm »
:huh: Well D&B I guess your not going to let me know what websites you got your info from and just let me hanging in the dark, I tried looking on all the websites I could think of thats why I came to this forum for help!  I know i'm new here but D&B if your going to play cat and mouse games I'm really not into that and please if you don't want to share the info you know about this item please don't post on my thread anymore...sorry but thats the way I feel, thank you other fellow posters for your input!!