Author Topic: BENROSE COMPANY  (Read 10509 times)

karima

• View Profile
BENROSE COMPANY
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:59:09 pm »
DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE BENROSE COMPANY? I AM SO STUMPED. I CANNOT FIND OUT ANYTHING ABOUT THE BENROSE COMPANY OTHER THAN THEY MANUFACTURED BEAUTIFUL PORCELAIN LAMPS IN ITALY. I OWN A PAIR AND HAVE NO IDEA OF THE HISTORY BEHIND THEM OR THE VALUE. THANX IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: BENROSE COMPANY
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:14:17 pm »
Just came across this snippet.......

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Pottery-Glass-Porcelain/Pottery-38-Porcelain/520090450&

"doing some research on the Benrose Italy planter with initial L on bottom. Just read that Benrose is an importer from NY that imported Capodimonti"

Also this......

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Pottery-Glass-Porcelain/Is-Walter-Around/520093362&#msg521966388

"Benrose imported pieces with their own labels. They used dozens of quality factories to create works for them but these factories were not permitted to identify themselves. Benrose owned the design rights and the molds. They could commission any factory they wanted to. Thus different factories could have produced the same item at different times.
Capodimonte is used today simply as a generic term used to describe a perceived style. Therefore you can call it Capodimonte-styled if you want to. In my opinion your example closely emulates the style of the Carlo Mollica porcelains from Naples. It probably dates to the 1960's or 70's. "

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:19:46 pm »
Good call , sapphire !

karima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:31:02 pm »
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR EXPERT KNOWLEDGE OF BENROSE. JUST ONE THING I WAS BORN IN 1959 AND THESE LAMPS WERE IN OUR HOME IN PHOTOS PRIOR TO MY BIRTH.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 06:54:35 am »
Karima, those quotes were just the only bits of info I had found in relation to the Benrose company regarding the Italian porcelain.  The dates in the second quote were supplied by someone giving an assessment of an estimated production date of another person's lamps.  There seems to be very little significant information on Benrose available online, but it's quite possible someone on this forum (who has yet to see this thread) may be familiar with the company and their products.  There's always an answer out there  ;)

karima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 07:20:14 pm »
THANK YOU SAPPHIRE FOR YOUR EXPERT HELP. THOSE LAMPS ARE REALLY BUGGING ME. I'M SO NEW AT THIS WEBSITE, I HOPE I'LL DO OKAY. I HAD SEARCHED THE WEB ABOUT BENROSE PRIOR TO FINDING THIS SITE AND I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING EITHER. I'M GONNA GO TO THE LOCAL LIBRARY TOMORROW TO SEE WHAT I CAN FIND OUT. HOPEFULLY I'LL FIND SOMETHING INTERESTING TO SHARE.

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 10:25:12 am »
Will be very interested to learn what you find.