Author Topic: very colorful mixing bowl.  (Read 2324 times)

OLDZ06

• View Profile
very colorful mixing bowl.
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:01:12 pm »
Check out the multi color glazes on this one. Another thing that is odd is the inside.It  is raw pottery,no glaze or finish at all. It has a thick rounded top rim. There is some crazing all over the outside and few old chips here and their. It is 10 1/4 wide and 4 1/4 high. I found it interesting because it is not like any other I have. I wonder if this is known has a salt glaze ? I have no idea of the age, origin or value. Its a keeper though. Just thought I would throw it out here for you all to see and comment on.

OLDZ06

• View Profile
Re: very colorful mixing bowl.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:59:17 pm »
Ironically this came from an auction which had a lot of german items including some pottery. Here is some interesting info. I'm pretty sure this is a mixing/kitchen bowl. I dont what else it would be used for.
The unique characteristics of salt glazing were discovered in the Rhineland of Germany, probably in the 14th century. Initially, the process was used on low fire earthenware. By the 15th century, small pottery towns of the Westerwald, including Höhr-Grenzhausen, Siegberg, Köln, and Raeren in Flanders, were producing a salt-glazed stoneware. (Nelson, p. 33-34) Westerwald Pottery was characterized by stamped medallions and the use of a cobalt oxide based colorant for decoration. Salt kilns were used extensively in western Europe in the 16th and 17th centuries, particularly in Germany, Scandinavia and the British Isles.

[edit] American salted stoneware
Salt ware was also popular during the colonial period in North America and in the early years of the United States. Initially, significant amounts of salt ware was imported from England. Americans began producing salt-glazed stoneware circa 1720 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Yorktown, Virginia, and American Stoneware became the predominant houseware of nineteenth century America. Contemporary potters in both North and South Carolina are well known for ongoing salt fired production. These independent craftsmen, generally operating small family oriented businesses in rural areas, produce ware in both traditional and personalized forms. Traditionally, each business in this area has been known for their distinctive output and decorative motifs.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:34:39 pm »
I find this interesting that the outside is glazed but the inside isn't.

Obviously not to be used in an oven with moisture - this would crack!

Now to chill an item (like doughs) it would likely work well!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 02:05:06 am »
It could be a flower pot.

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 12:44:20 pm »
Flower pot ? I did think about that but it has a rounded lip rim like most all old pottery bowls have. This will take some time to research one like it. I was told  the glaze is a Mallorca from a pottery site. . The white has a tin base which is put on first and the color stains that are put on the unfired white glaze. One said over 100 years old.
Better picture >
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:50:55 pm by OLDZ06 »

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 03:59:29 pm »
 I just looked inside the bowl and noticed a recessed area in the bottom center that is flat ? I'm trying to think what would have sat inside this recessed area.  Terra cotta translates to "cooked earth" in Italian, and is traditionally a red clay that fires hard and durable for cookware, bricks, tiles etc. It is possible that this was used in the kitchen but why the unglazed interior ?

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 04:29:23 pm »
these are normally called shoulder Bowls. I think it's safe to put in the sponge ware category, KC is correct the interior unglazed would absorb moisture.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:44:56 pm »
We have several unglazed pieces of terra cotta (Romertopf cookers) that make some great meals - the trick is to soak the terra cotta for a long time to absorb all the moisure and then cook the meal.  The unglazed clay essentially helps to steam the food and use very little moisture.

I do have to stand corrected because I do have some pieces that are glazed on the outside but not on the inside - however they have been made much later than this bowl of yours and have much nicer glazes that are less apt to crack/break.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!