Author Topic: Black Walnut Clothe Press  (Read 2045 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Black Walnut Clothe Press
« on: March 14, 2010, 02:17:06 pm »

Here following are 2 pictures of a clothe press made from Black Walnut wood. It belonged to the wife's mother who died in January at 96. It was hand-made by her father, the wife's Grandfather, and it has never been painted or refinished. The 3rd picture is a “tinted” charcoal drawing/painting of her cabinetmaker Grandfather and his sister, the wife's Great Aunt and which was drawn from a photograph.

The wife’s Grandfather was 23 and her Grandmother was 16 when they were married May 03, 1909. Her Grandfather had dug a well, built his sawmill, his woodworking shop, a granary, a smokehouse, a barn, a large 2-story house and all the furniture in it, ….. all for his new bride to move into. My oh my, how things have changed in 101 years. ;) ;)

Her Grandfather was a carpenter and cabinetmaker by trade and who cut, sawed and dried his own lumber and who built houses, churches, barns, furniture, etc. for other people. He also built elaborate caskets for the deceased. 

OLDZ06

• View Profile
Re: Black Walnut Clothe Press
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:47:23 pm »
Nice piece of furniture and interesting story behind it. Yes things have changed some for the better and some for the worst.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 03:11:41 pm »
Cogar what a  beautiful piece she was a lucky girl to have such a true craftsman and dedicated husband!!!!

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 03:52:43 pm »
Fantastic way to display this Cogar, especially with the framed art over it to remind.
Very well done.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 04:02:57 pm »
Nice  work it has the look of the shakers.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 07:09:06 pm »
What a neat story. Love the way their portraits are still with the piece that he made. Have you ever photographed any of his buildings if any are still standing? Maybe looked at them via Google Earth?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:12:36 am »
Really like the story and piece is nicely made!

Of course, you are documenting this and it all goes in the cabinet???????

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!