Author Topic: Looking for information on two pieces  (Read 3315 times)

brysondixon

• View Profile
Looking for information on two pieces
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:15:37 pm »
I recently purchased a box lot at an auction for a specific piece. The lot also included two pieces that I am curious about. The first is a teapot that had a tag declaring it as an antique Japanease Teapot. It looks as if it is made of clay and has a wooden handle. The second piece is a vase with a removable lid. It looks as if it is hand painted. Any information on what these two pieces are or their worth would be great. Thanks for looking!!!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Looking for information on two pieces
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:39:28 pm »
    A couple of wonderful items.  First are there any markings on the bottom, and can we get pics of the bottoms.  Maybe a couple really detail shots of the teapot,  Looks really old and folk craft like around the handle.   And Welcome to the forum Brysondixon.

brysondixon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 02:50:10 pm »
Hey Thanks for the greetings and response. I've checked the pieces out and they dont seem to have any markings. I'm attaching some additional photos, let me know what you think. Thanks Again!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 08:05:20 pm »
     Thanks for the additional pics, Really like the teapot.  I did wander if the Handle is original or not, around the hand grip looks really seasoned, Something seems a bit off around the Pivot point on the teapot.  Overall it look old enough to be trully considered Antique.  With out marking someone better then I would have commment on that, actually almost seem folk art.  That is (made by the individual, to be used by them), But this is just the overall feel I get from it.

The little Urn Looks cool too, for sure handpainted.  However these are everywhere and without hallmarks then you almost just have to go by the looks.  Does seem to be a early Export item from the orient, that is maybe pre War era maybe.  Just a few thoughts on your items.

Thanks again for the new pic, sure hope the others come a bit closer to the story behind these items. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 10:56:04 pm »
Someone correct me if I am off on this, since I am not a ceramics/porcelain person, but I believe the "vase" is what would be commonly referred to as a "ginger jar".
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:36:10 am »
That's correct tales of.

I haven't piped in because there aren't any markings and no distinctive marks/pictures on the ginger jar for me to make a guess at.

As for the water/tea pot. These were numerous in the Asian countries.  This is an older one due to the crude and well loved handle (older in the early 1900's i am betting).

I believe that these will sell for looks and be kept for an attraction to them. Do not feel they are of a high monetary value.  However, someone please jump in and prove me wrong!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:10:31 am »
KC,

I think you nailed it.

Someone will buy both items for their looks,keep and enjoy them- but not a huge amount of money will change hands.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 11:09:56 am »
Welcome to the forum , brysondixon .

Nice rustic tea pot , IMO .

As ironlord1963 mentioned , it also appears (to me) that the current handle is a later replacement item .
I'd guess that it was modeled after the original , esp due to the fact that the front bail (by the spout) is notched to 'hold' the spout while pouring tea .
These types of handles were sometimes made of bamboo , wood , metal or clay & generally had some 'slop' in their action (commonly wood-pegged , as yours is) .

There are several companies , in China , who currently produce tea pots very similar in design to yours (indicating that it's a 'workable' design) .

I do think quite a bit more patina would be present (as well as a more 'finished' appearance) , were this handle the original one - just think of all the times this unit was hand-washed & dried , for example .
The amount of 'crazing' in the glaze of your tea pot is a bit of an indicator that the little fella has had plenty of hot liquids , most prob. served by loving hands , for many years .

I do believe that the other item you've posted is a tea jar .

I'd speculate that the tea pot was made from the early-to-mid 1900's (not 100% for sure on this) ; I also guess that the tea jar is newer than your tea pot .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:50:48 pm »
Similar Ginger Jar
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ANTIQUE--CHINESE-PORCELAIN-FAMILLE-WARRIOR-GINGER-JAR_W0QQitemZ320492781112QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100225?IMSfp=TL100225128001r32479

These jars were originally designed by the Chinese and were used to hold....you guessed it....Ginger!  However, they have and continue to be used to hold many items (oils, flour, ginger, etc...)  They became very famous for export and were generally exported in the thousands - filled with tea due to the western market demand for the coveted drink item.

These have been copied and used in many Asian countries and in western countries as well due to the popular demand for the style.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:54:00 pm »
The history of containers is long , and often veiled in the mists of time .

Many containers were used for multi-purposed storage , esp. when they were much more rare than they are today .

Some ginger jars were made from bamboo , as pictured below .

Also note the unusal tea jar in the second image .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 07:24:25 pm »
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! ;D
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 12:18:27 pm »
Great historical information regjoe!

That second pic - the tea container - appears to be one of those extremely rare ones made in the aborigine style.   

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 12:27:15 pm »
You've got a sharp eye there , KC !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 01:45:44 pm »
I have done extensive research over this elusive tea ceremony and the items used for it.  Because of this I want to point out that the sealing cap and hanging hook are missing.
This particular aborigine pot would be strategically packed with a very hard-to-find and coveted loose leaf tea  (Almost like the yerba mate that I have had the pleasure of partaking during a real ceremony welcoming the growing season in Brazil). What is fascinating is that this particular blend is now being sold in a much milder form around the world and in "health drinks" due to it's healthy benefits. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mat%C3%A9

A few days before a special ceremony, the fitted cap would be removed and the unglazed piece would be hung above a large pot.  Hot water would be added....slowly the water would seep through the delicate leaves and then slowly work it's way through the unglazed "head" - dripping into the pot below.  This steeping process would continue day and night for several days until the liquids ran clear.

The head of the tribe would drink the full-strength "tea" from the ceremonial vessel that was believed to impart knowledge (1st Pic)
The elders passed around and drank from a vessel they felt would impart strength swiftness (2nd Pic)
The women of the tribe would drink a slightly watered tea in a vessel that would impart steadfastness and stability (3rd Pic)
The children would receive a greatly diluted version of the drink in vessels that they felt would promote healthy growth (last pic)

GRIN!!!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 01:46:57 pm »
the last two photos
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 03:25:58 pm by KC »