Author Topic: Is this antique furniture worth anything?  (Read 4020 times)

yotaluver

• View Profile
Is this antique furniture worth anything?
« on: March 15, 2010, 04:34:25 pm »
Is this antique furniture worth anything?  Just bought a house that had been lived in by an older couple, they left this stuff and I have been told that at least the table and chairs are probably worth something, they are in very good shape.  Thanks for any thoughts.  -Jeff

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Is this antique furniture worth anything?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:19:33 pm »
Welcome yotaluver!  I must say I love the bedroom set......wish I had one like it.  I'm taking a guess at 1940's.......not a good one to offer any idea on value, but many here can help you on that count.  Just wish someone would leave a set like that for me.  ;)

I would say there is more value in the bedroom set than the kitchen table and chairs.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 10:29:54 pm »
I believe the style is called "waterfall" but I'll let someone with experience in this area take it from there. I'm a rookie.  :P
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:38:21 pm »
As for the dinette set:  This company is one I like alot!  Take into consideration that this is a business and their pricing reflects prices people will pay to a business.  http://www.pastense.com/tables.html

Talesof, this is art deco waterfall style which was very popular in the 1930's.  In my area this would sell for $250 - $350 in good condition (without the mattress set).

Do either of the sets have any information as to who made them?  Sometimes this can make a difference in value!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:47:55 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

serycurtis10

• View Profile
    • Wholesale Dropship
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 12:13:34 am »
I would like to have those bedroom furnitures. I have already given my parents this

And I think the cabinet on the first photo would also be a good addition.
Dropshipping is an inventory control technique where a retailer accepts an order from a customer and then gives the order to a Wholesale Dropship supplier or manufacturer.

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 03:23:20 am »
KC would that bedroom set likely be all or mostly veneer ? 

I know in my area very few survive intact due to our excessive humidity. I had the chance to pick up a ladies vanity complete with original mirror for $20, but both sides of the top portion were totally lifted and split. I was at a loss to figure out how to go about any repair. Sad to see some of the last elegant furniture in the shape they end up.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:17:49 am »
Yes, mostly all veneer.

Sappphire, if the veneer is only "lifted and/or split", but none of it broken off (which is usually the case), sometimes it can be easily fixed by "pressing it".

Ya take a fairly damp piece of cotton cloth and spread it flat over top of the "raised veneer" and then "press it" with a hot iron, the one used for ironing clothes. Just slide the iron across it slow enough to "melt the old glue" and it will re-glue itself to the base wood by the time the back end of the iron, which is cooler, passes over it. There has to be pressure applied to it as it cools off and re-hardens. Too fast and the glue won't melt, too slow and ya might damage the finish or the veneer.

It might be best to find an old piece of veneered wood to practice on to ya get "the feel" of it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:17:44 pm »
That's a great trick to know about Cogar! Thanks!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:20:32 pm »
Cogar, wish I had known that when I saw it......it sat for a long time before someone finally bought it.  The front and sides were in good condition, so only the front top pieces needed work. Now I'll know for the next one I see. Tks.  ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 04:00:47 pm »
Thanks for supplying the great information cogar.

It is a shame that people have gotten rid of great family hand-me-downs because they thought furniture was not salvageable.  We have been able to keep ours over the years knowing the tricks and recovery  methods of the trade.

Sites like this are great to get that advice out of the goodness of your hearts.....thanks again everyone for lending your years of expertise.  It is a privilege to be associated with you!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 10:19:13 pm »
Yes cogar , thanks for posting tips !

I fully agree with the KC comments .

The association thanks you all !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 10:21:42 pm »
regjoe....you can always get me to chuckle!  So....Barney Fife now!

yotaluver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 05:55:16 am »
Thanks for the thoughts.  Is anyone in or around Thurmont MD (or frederick MD or Gettysburg PA) interested in them. Think i'll put them on creigslist if not.  What should I ask for them?

yotaluver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 06:11:02 am »
No interest?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 05:22:51 pm »
yotaluver....believ e estimates were included above....