Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 3815 times)

What is it?
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:39:04 am »
I found this in an old house that I am cleaning out and don't know what it is. Please follow the link for a photo I would appreciate any help.  Thanks

http://doristhelma.blogspot.com/2010/03/what-is-it.html

cogar

• View Profile
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 01:19:05 pm »
I would call that a Buffet, made of Walnut, and with missing doors.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:58:02 pm »
I agree with Mr Cogar. The doors are missing. but I think I would take it along any way. it belong's in the Aesthetic period which ran from circa 1868 to 1901 give or take a few years.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 03:08:25 pm »
Welcome 3210!  Is that a mirror or mesh insert in the panel between the missing doors? You might just
want to hunt around a bit more to see if the doors were 'used' somewhere else in the house.   :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 06:10:19 pm »
Agree that it is from the late 1800's.

The piece has lots of character and with some TLC this is still a beautiful piece.

Does appear to have a mesh insert in the bottom middle.

I would definitely take a look/see for the doors.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:01:07 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies and the info.  There is mesh in the space between the doors.  It was found in the basement.  My relatives lived in the house since the early 40's.  Unfortunately, all of the original occupants have passed away but no one else remembers seeing it in the last 60 years or so.  We haven't been able to find the doors yet.  It may be that they were never with it when is was brought into the house over 60 years ago.

Could anyone take a guess about where it was made?  My ancestors came from the Germany in the last half of the 1800's and when they came to the US they settled in Pennsylvania.

Thanks Again

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:02:08 pm »
I would call that a Buffet, made of Walnut, and with missing doors.

Thanks for the quick replies and the info.  There is mesh in the space between the doors.  It was found in the basement.  My relatives lived in the house since the early 40's.  Unfortunately, all of the original occupants have passed away but no one else remembers seeing it in the last 60 years or so.  We haven't been able to find the doors yet.  It may be that they were never with it when is was brought into the house over 60 years ago.

Could anyone take a guess about where it was made?  My ancestors came from the Germany in the last half of the 1800's and when they came to the US they settled in Pennsylvania.

Thanks Again

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:22:31 pm »
The mesh got me to thinking this might be a pie safe and your mention of your ancestors having come from Germany added at bit more
fuel to the fire.

So far have come across this........

http://antiques.lovetoknow.com/Antique_Pie_Safe

"The pie cabinet was most likely introduced to the United States by the German people that immigrated to Pennsylvania and became known as the Pennsylvania Dutch. Despite the name they were used for more than pies. Everything from bread to cake was kept in a pie cupboard.

The pie safe was an important piece of furniture. It was generally a tall and narrow cabinet made of pine, although other woods might be used. It was free standing and could be moved easily if necessary. The pie safe was generally kept as far from the wood stove as possible, to keep the food safe from too much heat. On the farm it might even have been kept on the back porch, next to the dry sink to catch as much cool air as possible.

Generally pie safes were made from local wood. Often pine and other soft woods were used for shelves, drawers, and interior pieces while a nicer, more expensive wood was used for the exterior areas. Pine was especially popular in the southern states.

Inside the cabinet were shelves to hold pies and other foods. There would be screening or punched tin designs in the top, sides, doors, or a combination of these. The screen allowed the baked goods to have ventilation while keeping rodents, flies, and hungry children at bay. The ventilation helped the food to stay cooler and to keep it from molding easily.

Some kitchen safes had tops that opened upward while others had a combination of doors and drawers. There were even pie safes that were a combination safe and jelly cupboard. The pieces would be made to either the whim of the cabinet maker or the specifications of the lady of the house."

sapphire

• View Profile

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 04:46:51 am »
3210, I am really curious, is it the "flash" of the camera or is there really that much difference in the "finish" (color) of the wood between the top and bottom pieces?

The reason I ask is, when I first seen the photo it looked to me to be a "married" piece. The top from one, the bottom from another. And now that I see there is a "screen" in the bottom piece it make me think that even more.

A beveled mirror and a piece of screen in the same piece of furniture seems kinda odd to me.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 10:21:43 am »
cogar, I thought the same thing myself looking at it from the face forward.

The bottom part looks like a traditional German pie safe and the top looks like a traditional German plate rack.  However, which you look at the first picture, view looking down...it appears that the top and the bottom are the same color/wood and age.

Interesting article about the German pie safes - backing up what I have heard in the past about they were custom made to the buyers desires - so tops and bottoms can be very different for the different uses.

http://antiques.lovetoknow.com/Antique_Pie_Safe
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!