Author Topic: China Makers (Confused!)  (Read 2647 times)

Ellenshar

• View Profile
China Makers (Confused!)
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:17:31 pm »
I bought some soup bowls at a collector's show 2 weeks ago, Rosalie pattern.  This past weekend I found a matching plate at an auction sale.

However, I noticed that although the pattern looks exactly the same, the marks are different.  The plate has the American Limoges mark that says "American Limoges 22k gold", some of the soup bowls say "Rosalie 22k gold, Decorated in Canada for J.A. Browne Wholesale Ltd.", some bowls say "Georgian China, Decorated by Collingwood Ont", and some soup bowls have absolutely nothing on the back.

Can anyone explain?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:20:05 pm by Ellenshar »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: China Makers (Confused!)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:16:07 pm »
I think the simple answer is that several companies were/are licensed by Limoges to produce the pattern(s) .

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: China Makers (Confused!)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:43:11 pm »
     American Limoges, first started under the name Sterling China, Was started by F.A. Sebring, and sometimes hallmarked as Sebring, and sometimes it is known as Lincoln China Company.  Many names and even more hallmarks from the American Limoges Company.  To make things even more complex the name Rosalie is a very popular pattern name.  About every company has a Rosalie pattern, even Oneida with a Rosalie pattern for silverplate flatware.  If you look up that name at replacements it yields about 1400 different items.  I also noticed that one of the hallmarks says Wholesale for, Like regularjoe said, Some of these was bought for wholesale and backstamped with the wholesale company name.