Author Topic: Mystery items :)  (Read 5650 times)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Mystery items :)
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:40:59 pm »
Well gang, I have stumbled across a strange piece of silver (just your specialty, ironlord :) ) and was wondering if anyone could identify it. It's obviously a type of skewer, but for what, I do not know. Either way, it's sterling and most definitely Victorian. What do you all think?

P.S. unfortunately I cannot get an accurate picture of the hallmark as it is quite small. And furthermore, I have no idea who's hallmark it is :)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Re: Mystery items :)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:43:49 pm »
And while you're all looking...

Anyway able to identify the hallmarks on this?

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:44:07 pm »
We do love the mysteries here !

My guess is that it makes the 'S' car go ... (escargot)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:47:35 pm by regularjoe2 »

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 07:45:09 pm »
Lol, good one regularjoe :) Now that would be an interesting item (although I think, upon further refection, that escargot is eaten with a fork and spoon)!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:53:43 pm by luxetveritas »

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 08:10:26 pm »
It could be a modified piece ... Butter Pick and Candle Snuffer: These items are made using the handles from authentic production pieces and adding the remainder of the piece in sterling silver, stainless steel or silverplate. We have also seen butter picks which were made from nut picks by twisting the end of the piece.  From http://www.silvercollectblog.com/how-to-detect-modified-sterling-and-silverplate-flatware.html

or it could be an original butter pick such as this J. W. Cusack butter pick at http://www.antiquearts.com/13609/PictPage/3923253592.html

Replacements, Ltd. will make (or find?) one with your pattern http://www.replacements.com/webquote/RDSFRAN.htm
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:19:24 pm by waywardangler »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 08:13:28 pm »
   Kinda scanned my books with no avail, My first thought was some sort of bone marrow flatware, they usually have the small spoon end but haven't seen one with the twist.  I would have to see the hallmarks to pinpoint the pattern, most books and sites have them organized by companies.  The style of the pattern looks to me to be really late 1800's to more likely early 1900's.  This is when this style was popular, at least the shaply floral look.  Earlier the flatware tends to have a flat look, and not so much the floral look.  I'm so curious now and the juices (drool) is running, I will have to look a bit more.  Is the hallmark English or rather European in style?  Sorry got me stumped right now but really curious  ;)  

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 08:14:33 pm »
Ironlord, the hallmark is kind of an "s" surrounded by a shield with what looks like a squirrel on top, yes, a squirrel. Never seen one like it before.

Thanks for the solution, waywardangler! It is most definitely an original butter pick, interesting!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:16:48 pm by luxetveritas »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 08:17:49 pm »
    Yea just coming back to say it is a butter pick at least it appears so in the placemcnt guide.  Good call wayward, now if we can just find the pattern my brain will have relief  :o

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 08:19:40 pm »
Yup , butter pick .

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 08:22:47 pm »
Ironlord, I do not know silverware patterns but that flower on the handle looks like a lily to me.  Do they name the patterns after the most prominent design on a handle?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:26:08 pm »
Yes sometime the flower name is used as the pattern name.  Maybe I'll try typing that at replacements and see what comes up

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 08:26:36 pm »
It is a lily pattern, which is why I thought Victorian in the first place. And yes, usually the design on the handle has a lot to do with the name of the pattern. Too bad so much flatware has lily patterns :(

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 08:27:25 pm »
Beat me to it, Ironlord :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 09:17:07 pm »
Butter picks are very common on fine silver sets.  Love them because lots of people don't know what they are!  The interesting thing is that not all butter picks are old...even if the pattern has been produced for a very, very, very long time.  You can go to Replacements LTD and for popular patterns they will make one for you!  The one you are displaying is a one tine butter pick.

Butter Servers 101 Class:
The uninformed believe that the purpose was so that you could pick up a pat of butter.  But, au contrare.....picks were made to pick up butter curls -  one curl at a time without breaking it or dropping it! (The twists are a few large spirals.)  Then the revised butter pick which is better used for picking up butter pats has tighter spirals, like a screw. BUT, the two tine butter pick (that looks like a fork)  was designed to pick up a pat of butter from the butter server to place on the bread plate.  Then...to go further.....you have a master butter knife, a individual butter knife and a butter spreader.

The wooden handled pot is a sauce pot.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:22:31 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 09:19:51 pm »
1903 Frontenac, by International Silver Co.    Ahhhh, what a brain relief.