Author Topic: Is this site helpful?  (Read 2208 times)

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
Is this site helpful?
« on: February 20, 2004, 09:17:09 pm »
Just want to see what people think of the site and this forum... I dont know of any other active antique question forum myself, if you know of one, please let me know the URL.
Please Post your suggestions!! [/font]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 09:18:01 pm by dontbe »
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

missfitz

• View Profile
Is this site helpful?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 08:25:45 am »
I am fairly new to this site, but can empathise with raddman regarding information given.  If a person cannot find relevant information on the net themselves before coming to this forum and responders know where to find such info on the net, they should be prepared to share a site or two with the questioner.  

Also some information being provided by antique dealers (who you would expect to be experts) appears to be highly questionable.

All in all though, this is a very good site.  Responses are very timely and I have finally found the answer that I have been searching for thanks to D&B Antiques.  However, I did wonder why they would think that I would have had my brand name wrong (Victor, not Vickers) when I have the machine here in my house and can clearly see the name on it.  Further, I had found much info on the net relating to Victor machines, but they were all American, not English.  I have not seen reference to any "Vickers" machines during my searches of antique sewing machines, so it seemed an odd question!

;)  

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Is this site helpful?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 05:57:57 pm »
;) that's very good ! why you ask? I can't see it. do you have any Idea how difficult it is to get correct info site unseen? then guess who is wrong? I'am by no fault of my own. but suppose what you have need's expert appraisal? guess who the loser is? you are ! you know this is free info! that's why you are here.a word to the wise if in doubt check it out. it would not be in the best interest of you the users of this site.for us to offer to buy anything' in any way from this site.

jamcq

• View Profile
Is this site helpful?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 01:02:12 am »
This site hasn't been any help to me but then I've been searching for the answer for quite some time on the internet and haven't found anything either.  I was at least hoping to get some ideas of where else to look...

Jamcq

kerrybee

• View Profile
Is this site helpful?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 07:07:56 pm »
As I'm a web searcher more than expert, I find this site helpful.  My best area of expertise is pottery/porcelain, primarily in helping with ID, rather than with value, tho' with some exceptions.  

I enjoy being able to give a link, to a site, which may then have other links useful to the poster.  I've done web research with the object in my hand, and to feel the texture, even as it's being described,  is best.  

There will always be differing opinions, which I think is great - it broadens the options of the antiques owner.

Antiques Roadshow is great, I love it, but the "instant" ID's we see on TV are often the result of 1.  Great breadth of knowledge; 2.  Collaboration with colleagues; and 3.  Hands on examination.  We need to remember that forums aren't Roadshow.

BEST of all, this is how I LEARN.    KB