Author Topic: Paper Mache Frame - Real painting.....Value?  (Read 6824 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Paper Mache Frame - Real painting.....Value?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 05:59:04 am »
Hi Jackson No dusting polish will not work it must be simichrome polish something in that specific compound that reacts with genuine Bakelite and not all plastics. And I agree with Tales this one needs a hands on inspection by a professional.  good luck

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 11:22:48 am »
Jackson, Ivory is EXTREMELY brittle and without proper care/temperature/lighting will break.

They also used different kinds of bones, vellum, etc.

If you know of a museum that is close by that has someone willing to talk with you.....they may lend their expertise.  A reputable framing shop might even without having to pay for an appraisal.

The expensive and older paintings were of paint mixtures and/or oils.  Some did appear to be water colors so it scares me when you say that you are going to try a polish.  If the material that it is painted on is porous....you possibly will have ruined your painting.

Sometimes patience and time in getting answers is the answer.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

JacksonT

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 12:34:20 pm »
We have decided to put this on ebay for £30, not sure if we are robbing ourselves or the buyer? lol. Since we couldn't find any hard evidence wether or not this is authentic as we couldnt find any signatures and we arent sure if its bakelite or simply just a reproduction on plastic. We'd really like your opinions on this price we have set as a starting bid, wether or not we should take it off or sell it for more?

I'd really like to find more information on this but dont think we will so its on ebay for sale http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140395881501&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Again thank you all so much for your input. :)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 01:29:13 pm »
Again, I would have this looked at by someone in person.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 01:34:08 pm »
I agree with talesof!  Many people have sold valuable items for very little for merely the inconvenience of finding out about it.

If in fact it is from late 1800's....could sale in the $70 to $200s!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 01:39:25 pm »
The listing absolutely needs to be edited. It was listed as an 18th century piece. If you have no idea of age, it's very unfair to list it as a piece from the 1700's. The 18th century would be the 1700's. Someone like me who doesn't have enough experience would bid on this piece and be devastated to find out it's from the 1970's. In the ad, state that you are UNSURE of the exact age and that it is possibly a reproduction. That's just my two cents.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 01:43:50 pm »
Way to go hosman....hadn't looked at the offer yet!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 03:15:17 pm »
Hosman321 is absolutely correct. The listing says it is an 18th century painting on Bakelite. Bakelite was invented in 1907, so that right there is going to send up all kinds of red flags and alarm bells for any antiques buyer worth their salt. Pull that puppy down JacksonT!

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 05:36:02 pm »
I'm with Tales.  Get it checked by a pro.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 10:35:28 pm »
I'm curious to know what the adhesive was like , when you removed the felt .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

JacksonT

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 04:15:27 am »
Thanks for the input i will change the description now. When we took the felt off it appeared to be stuck on by paste as it came off pretty easy. There were 2 nails keeping a peice of cardboard infront of the painting and the glass, this to me points towards a reproduction? or maybe someone has had this open in the past and just put the glass and cardboard in for protection so the painting itself may still be 18th century.

Where could we take it to get it looked at as we've took it to antique shops before and they didnt want to know, or didnt know anything about it. Location: England, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Even if it is a repro its still old so we'd like to know what we should sell it for'?

Thanks, Lee

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 04:48:22 am »
Jackson thank you for changing your sellers add on eBay as a buyer of antiques  I always appreciate honesty from my sellers and those are the ones I continue to keep in contact with and buy from on repeat occasions. I would also remove from your add that it is painted on bakelite ,I would place it may be painted on ivory but you are not sure. If you are just honest in your add someone will purchase it with the possibility it is not a repo and it may not be but have no recourse if it is.  I would try to contact a local art museum and see if they will take a look.  good luck
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:14:40 am by wendy177 »

JacksonT

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 04:54:52 am »
I'm pretty sure its not ivory Wendy as its flexible, if you were to bend ivory wouldnt it break? It's either modern plastic or bakelite. Probably best off leaving it as bakelite although i will add in the description on ebay that its possibly ivory. Thanks again Wendy....we'll try to get this looked at by a pro.

waywardangler

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 08:04:37 am »
I would not flex this at all.  Flexing can cause cracking of the painted surface or even popping off of paint from the surface.  The non-painted back should be looked at to determine if it is ivory, celluloid, or bakelite but do not flex it.  Just about any thin material will flex to an extent, even glass, up to its' breaking point and then it is too late.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 10:29:01 am »
Having a museum take a look at it would be ideal, but if you're not able to get help from them, even an antique store may be able to help you just make the material identification. I recently got a great deal of help on an ivory handled parasol from a local antique dealer who specialized in ivory pieces. Another option might even be a pawn shop. These guys have to be able to identify pieces in order to price them. My suggestion would be to offer them a few bucks for an identification only. That's what I did with the antique store guy. He was very nice and ended up just helping me for free.