Author Topic: lamps  (Read 2668 times)

MarieA

• View Profile
lamps
« on: April 06, 2010, 09:22:05 am »
Bought a pari of lamps last weekend, paid $35. Did I get cheated?

syl

• View Profile
Re: lamps
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 09:34:43 am »
Not if you like them.

MarieA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:54:18 am »
I think they lend color to an otherwise drab room. But did I get a good deal? Your reply implies I didn't. ;)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 10:16:07 am »
     Welcome MariaA,  No you did not get cheated at all.  Considering a nice set of New lamps will cost you that much Plus.  And they sure give you that wonderful Victorian look.  Are there any markings on the lamps and does the cord and Sockets appear to be old?  These lamp are plentiful and are all over the place, but never Know you may have a set of older one's.  Also look at the art on the lamp closely see if it is handpainted, most likely it is decal or what is called Transfer print.  These are the clues to look at when looking for special lamps.  Either way they are wonderful looking lamps.  Once again welcome to the Forum.

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:29:56 am »
I agree with syl and ironlord.  They look good to me and I think you would pay more than $35 just for the shades alone if you were buying replacements.  On old lamps, I always inspect the cord(s) for cracking, brittleness, or bare wires and replace them if necessary before using. 

MarieA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 10:42:13 am »
There is a blue oval tag on the back of each with "underwriters labratory portable lamp, issue E24421" They have worn areas, bulb socket looks fairly new as does the cord. Can't really tell if it is a decal as I don't know what to look for.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:32:52 am »
Welcome to the forum , MarieA .

If you've got a magnifying glass , look at the patterned (where the 'flowers' are) area .
If you can clearly see 'brush-strokes' in the patterns , it could be hand-painted (not always , though - because there are some examples of 'decals' being painted over) .

If you see alot of small little 'dots' of color , and a transparent edge around the perimeter of the 'picture' (as if a decal was applied) , chances are that it's a transfer , as stated by other forum members .
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:30:26 pm by regularjoe2 »

MarieA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:04:12 pm »
No magnifying glass but did run my fingernail across the edges and felt no "line". Were the design is wore off is smooth. It is white were the design is wore off and the wear is uneven on the handles.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 11:08:14 pm »
You would pay more for 1 new lamp these days.

Bottom line is that you like it and know that you got a great deal!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 06:16:11 am »
Nice pair of lamps. The shades alone are worth $35.

MarieA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 09:04:51 am »
Thanks to everyone, I like the lamps, hubby doesn't. His problem. Thanks again.